Menu
patheticluddite
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

My POP hell: can't get incoming Mac Mail since Thursday

Hi. I am a pathetic Luddite newbie so please bear with me, need help with Mac Mail.

Had no internet Thursday 16/3/17, restored later that afternoon. Since then, my Mac Mail client - which has always worked fine - hasn't been able to access incoming messages. I have sluggish but functional webmail and my phone gets them fine, but want my Mac Mail to work again.

My problem was that "pop.virgin.net cannot be contacted on port 995".

I came on here in desperation, and read a post by Sofa Bear on this forum detailing that email settings had been changed on Thursday. Aha. Kind of them not to tell anyone they had moved the goalposts. Anyway. I have a virgin.net email address so figured I'd have a go a changing settings as advised.

In Mac Mail I opened Mail>Preferences and in the panel, I changed the incoming mail server from "pop.virgin.net" to "pop3.virginmedia.com" but that was the only bit I could monkey around with - Sofa Bear's instructions list tons of other stuff I can't find.

That one change didn't fix it. Now I'm stumped. Please can someone help?

Thanks. PL

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: My POP hell: can't get incoming Mac Mail since Thursday

The changes in the post you refer to by Sofa Bear are unlikely to be the cause of your issue.  Although the recommended settings have been updated the current legacy settings will continue to work for some time yet.

The help pages have some screen shots of the Mac Mail settings windows here: https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

This may help you.

patheticluddite
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for your help. I've studied the page you linked too, thanks so much for that, that does move me further along than I was.

I've changed a few more of the settings as per Sofa Bear's post just to see if that would work. Nada.

Annoying follow-up questions. I was associating the internet outage I experienced (Thurs) with my problem, and when I discovered the new email settings (also Thurs) also dating from the start of my problem I thought... "smoking gun", that's what's done it.

But if these new email settings haven't messed up my email... where do I begin to know what IS causing the problem?

I'm going to change everything back to how it was now.

Thanks for your patience. PL

0 Kudos
patheticluddite
Tuning in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Just to say, this problem has now semi-solved itself overnight. Going to post residual issue in new thread. Thanks Graham PL

0 Kudos