Menu
ElviraKate
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

My IP is blacklisted on 3 spam detectors. How do I get it cleared?

My IP (which seems to be static, though I hadn't realised this was a Virgin feature) has been blacklisted on Protected Sky, SORBS DUHL and Spamhaus ZEN. How can this happen and how quickly can you change this status? I have to send out a newsletter in the next few days and if I am blacklisted this will be a disaster.

Kate

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: My IP is blacklisted on 3 spam detectors. How do I get it cleared?

Virgin's IP addresses are allocated dynamically, although the way the DHCP is set up means that your address is rarely likely to change.  This is not the same as a true static address though which is guaranteed never to change.

Unless you are running a mail server from your connection IP blacklists are of little importance.  Blacklists are used on the last leg of an email's journey.  If you need to know more see here.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Ravenstar-s-Email-FAQ-s/m-p/2420093/highlight/true#M129651

Being listed in the DUHL is normal it is there because your IP is allocated Dynamically as opposed to being static.
Spamhaus Zen is the master zone for Spamhaus.  If you check further you'll most likely find your IP address is listed in their PBL - again because it's allocated dynamically.
Without seeing the actual Protected SKY entry it's hard to be sure, but I believe they also have a Policy block list element as well.

In short you are on those lists because you shouldn't be running a mail server on a dynamic address, if you send your mail through someone else's mail server your IP being on those blacklists will not impact you sending mail.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

ElviraKate
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

That's really useful, thank you. So I don't need to worry about say, sending 150 e-newsletters using bcc?

This came to light because I got a weird bounce message from VM sending an email to my husband (also on VM but using VM mailservers, whereas I use my hosting service's mailservers): this said:
"452 4.1.0 Ratelimiting bounces from your ip 94.136.40.149. You are listed on ips.backscatterer.org"

Now this is not my IP, it appears to belong to Webfusion. I contacted my hosting service to ask them but they simply told me to ask Virgin.... am now going round in circles.

aaargh.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Post the full bounce message - minus the first part of any email addresses.

Looking at the IP address

General IP Information IP: Decimal: Hostname: ASN: ISP: Organization: Services: Type: Assignment: Blacklist:

mailex.mailcore.me
Host Europe GmbH
Host Europe GmbH
Likely mail server
Corporate
Static IP

So it's a mail server but not Virgin's mail server.   Virgin is rate limiting IP's and part of the reason for rate limiting is that the IP address of the mail server is blacklisted (This has been stated in other threads by members of Virgin's Forum Team).  So if Webfusion address the issue of the blacklisting this should stop Virgin from rate limiting the mail.

@Jen_A can you take a look?

TBH I'm not happy with the way the rate limiting is being applied.  Essentially when a server uses rate limiting, it says "I can't accept this at the moment."  So the sending server keeps trying again and again until either

1. Virgin accepts the message.
2. The sending server gives up and bounces the message after a certain amount of time.

Rate limiting is a useful tool against fire and forget spam.  But when you rate limit genuine mail servers, especially if you keep refusing repeated attempts to deliver the same mail, you end up with your server receiving more connection attempts than it needs to, and the sending server having to attempt delivery of the mail more time than it needs to.

So in summary

Webfusion can help by addressing the issue of their mail server being blacklisted.
Virgin can help by taking a good look at the misery that rate limiting is causing for legitimate senders and recipients alike.  The current system is causing more problems than it's solving IMHO.

Ravenstar68

ElviraKate
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thank you! Sadly I can't mark this answer as helpful as the problem can only be solved by Virgin, but have given Kudos for the time being.

For info, here is the bounce - not strictly a bounce, but the message still hasnt been delivered:
This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.
A message that you sent has not yet been delivered to one or more of its
recipients after more than 6 hours on the queue on smtp07.mailcore.me.

The message identifier is: 1bk8Wq-0005pI-5T
The subject of the message is: Fwd: open houses
The date of the message is: Wed, 14 Sep 2016 12:38:58 +0100

The address to which the message has not yet been delivered is:

husband@virginmedia.com
(generated from xxxx@xxxx.co.uk)
Delay reason: SMTP error from remote mail server after MAIL FROM:<me@xxxx.org.uk> SIZE=5240:
host mx.mnd.ukmail.iss.as9143.net [212.54.58.11]:
452 4.1.0 Ratelimiting bounces from your ip 94.136.40.149. You are listed on ips.backscatterer.org

Kate
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

As stated if Webfusion were to find out why their IP address on backscatterer - and get it delisted, this would also help.

No responsible mail host should leave one of their main outgoing servers blacklisted.

Ravenstar68

0 Kudos
ElviraKate
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

OK - @Jen_A or anyone else on duty, can you look into this? As I said, I have to send out 150 e-newsletters in the next few days and it would be a disaster if they were blocked. I'd also like to know how Webfusion gets into this anyway - my initial email was simply sent from me to my husband using VM as an ISP and going to a VM address, my own mailservers don't have anything to do with Webfusion, so how do they get into the picture?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

erm

From this earlier

This came to light because I got a weird bounce message from VM sending an email to my husband (also on VM but using VM mailservers, whereas I use my hosting service's mailservers): 

Ravenstar68

0 Kudos
ElviraKate
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

... how does *Webfusion* get into the picture, is what I should have said!

Kate
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

When I look at the bounce I see the following

The address to which the message has not yet been delivered is:

husband@virginmedia.com
(generated from xxxx@xxxx.co.uk)
Delay reason: SMTP error from remote mail server after MAIL FROM:<me@xxxx.org.uk> SIZE=5240:
host mx.mnd.ukmail.iss.as9143.net [212.54.58.11]:
452 4.1.0 Ratelimiting bounces from your ip 94.136.40.149. You are listed on ips.backscatterer.org

This actually suggests that the mail wasn't sent directly to your husbands Virgin Media address, but rather to a different address and then auto forwarded to his VM address.

I'm willing to bet that if we look at the domain in red, it's owned by 123-reg.  Who are owned by Webfusion.

0 Kudos