Menu
Gmak
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Multiple emails

I have read many posts about the number of emails sent in a time period and most of these are associated with account blocking due to too many recipients in bcc or email addresses used illegally by an unknown third party. None of these answer my question.

I distribute a monthly newsletter to 350 members of a society. I use Office Outlook as my mail client. The members’ details are in a folder in my Outlook contacts. I use mail merge to create an individual personalised email to each member. The newsletter is attached to the email.

To achieve this I create a batch of less than 90 emails and despatch them. Then I create another batch of less than 90 emails and despatch them. These two batches are sent approximately 30 minutes apart.  24 hours later I prepare and despatch another two batches each of which is less than 90 emails. This works well but it does mean that I spread the task over two days.

My question: Using the method above could I send 4 batches of less than 90 emails in the same day?

I have an ntlworld email address.

I am in the UK and VM is my ISP. The messages are sent from the same PC each month.

All of the recipients have agreed to receive this newsletter. Occasional rejection occurs only if I have misread the email address of a new member. My emails rarely go to spam or junk mail.

I know that if I used webmail I could send up to 500 emails in one day but I wish to continue sending personalised email to each individual directly from Outlook.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Multiple emails

The answer is here:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Sent-email-limits/m-p/3113322/highlight/true#M124231

and here (help fileSmiley Happy

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1001&PARTITION_ID=1&TIMEZONE...

You do the math!

Leave well alone - it works reliably.

Add:  I think you are pushing it a bit for a residential service. I have mailing lists of about 20 or 30 people but for the number of people you are sending to I'd seriously think about something like Mailchimp:

https://mailchimp.com/pricing/free/

You could send them all at once and personalised as well (I think).

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Gmak
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you HowardML for drawing my attention to this earlier post, which I have read before. At the start of my original post I stated that I was not asking about multiple addressees in bcc. The post you’ve highlighted refers to a message to multiple addressees. I quote:

will temporarily disable your account if you send a message to more than 500 recipients or if you send a large number of undeliverable messages. If you use a POP or IMAP client (Microsoft Outlook or Apple Mail, e.g.), you may only send a message to 100 people at a time

I fully agree with the need to limit the number of addressees in a single message.

I am seeking expansion or clarification of a post made by  Nicola_C  dated 12-09- 2015. In it she states:

VM501 message indicates that the recipient count in the emails sent has been exceeded in the last rolling hour. We limit the number of email recipients that may be sent from our residential connections over a rolling time base to try and stop spamming.

The thresholds that are applied vary; they are based on our historical email platform abuse data and are influenced by several factors.

Rates are reduced when sending from a non VM ISP, reduced further when out of the UK, reduced even further from high risk countries such as the USA, Canada for example

These statements from Nicola do not mention “per day” and seem to me to reflect more flexibility about number of emails in “a rolling time base” than the statements about the number of addressees in a single email.  I am not challenging VMs policy. I am entirely satisfied with the protection they provide and the service I receive. But by ensuring that I am following Bulk Senders' Guidelines for Virgin Media MailI already exceed 100 emails in a short time period.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Virgin won't disclose their hourly limits.  They've been asked this before.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Would it be impertinent of me to add that if the OP had asked a direct question about hourly limits and quoted from Nicola's reply (or even cross referenced it) he would have got the same reply from me as he got from you? Of course VM won't disclose their hourly individual sending limits. Or they'd be giving away their spam prevention policy details.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Gmak
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I had hoped to understand better how to work within VM policy. The matter is now closed.

0 Kudos