Menu
Slashformayor
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Moving email to new provider

I am in the process of leaving virgin media after over 7 years. I have nearly 3500 emails i would like to transfer to a new account before my currect email address is removed by VM. Is this possible? simply selecting all emails and clicking forward shows an error message saying that i can only forward 8 emails at a time!

I normally use the windows mail client to receive and send mail from my VM account, however after a HDD failure 4 months ago, i lost all previously downloaded emails and now only have ones from the last 4 months.

Is it possible to maybe download all emails to the windows mail client and then use that to forward them to my new static outlook account?

Thanks for your advice.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Moving email to new provider

Usually its possible, the process depends on what type of account you want to move them to....

Tell me, please tell me, you arent going to move them to a mail account provided by your new ISP? You want to move them to Gmail or similair right?

0 Kudos
Wrock
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Email providers such as Google provide tools to automate the process of moving all of your emails.  Fast and easy,

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/56283?hl=en

Depending on the quantity of messages, the process may take a number of hours.  It is completely automated. 

Going forward, consider using web mail instead of an email client.  It is the modern way and no hard drive failure could then result in email loss.

-Wrock.

0 Kudos
Slashformayor
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I'm moving from VM to Sky, but i want to import my messages to my current Live.co.uk email account.

0 Kudos
Slashformayor
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I use pop3 to receive my emails, so i get them on my phone and on my works laptop. Using a client is much easier for me on a laptop, and personally i hate webmail anyway.
I already have a Live account, which is where i would like the messages importing to, and i'm not really into opening yet another email account just to store these messages on. Looking at the above link, that is for moving emails from one gmail account to another it seems, is there a similar tool for moving from VM to live?
0 Kudos
Slashformayor
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It seems i found a solution on my own.

Connect email client (windows mail) to VM Imap server

Connect email client to Outlook Imap server

Download folders/mail from both.

Select emails from VM account, right click, click on 'copy to folder'

Select appropriate folder in Live account.

Click ok. Then wait as files are copied.

Finally click send/receive mail to upload data to Live account.

0 Kudos