Menu
makv63
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Missing folders in Virgin webmail

When viewing my mail in Virgin webmail, I'm not seeing certain folders that I do see when using the Mail app in Windows 10. Does anyone know why this might be?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Missing folders in Virgin webmail

Try this:

1. Click and then Settings
  2. Click Email and then scroll to bottom of page
  3. Click Change subscription
  4. Check appropriate folders are ticked, for example:
    2016-10-13-00.jpeg

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

You are possibly being presented with the "mobile" view of the VM mail application (your browser detects your screen characteristics and reduces the data to fit on a smaller screen (such as a tablet or phone)). It results in you only seeing the list of Inbox emails initially).

If you are you using a tablet, phone, Chromebook, or some device with a screen smaller than an average laptop or PC, this is most likely to happen. Or, if you open the webmail window in something less than full-screen mode, or have zoom in your browser set to something more than 100%, the same result is probable.

So, clear your browser's cache and cookies (you can Google how to do that).

Make sure your screen settings are absolutely standard (no zoom in browser and no change to your Display settings in Control Panel)

Go into webmail via www.virginmedia.com and you should then get the normal list of folders down the left side.

0 Kudos
makv63
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Have tried all of that, with no luck.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Try this:

1. Click and then Settings
  2. Click Email and then scroll to bottom of page
  3. Click Change subscription
  4. Check appropriate folders are ticked, for example:
    2016-10-13-00.jpeg
makv63
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

That's the trick! Perfect, thanks. Perhaps someone could update the "standard" response?

0 Kudos
jancyclops
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Why should I have to clear my cache and cookies just because Virgin Media can't be bothered to have webmail which is fit for purpose?  I want to keep stuff in my cache.  I am only using WM webmail because I am not at home right now.  Can't wait to get back to using a proper email client which does what I want it to do instead of trying to second guess what I want or force me to do what I don't want to do.  The old webmail was fine.  This is the first time I have ever had to use the new one and already I am regretting not having set Thunderbird up on this computer (I wouldn't do that just to send one email).

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

jancyclops wrote:

Why should I have to clear my cache and cookies just because Virgin Media can't be bothered to have webmail which is fit for purpose?  I want to keep stuff in my cache. 

that is a particularly stupid place to store anything important

A cache is intended to be a volatile temporary storage location only.

if you want to keep stuff, then export it / take a copy / put it somewhere outside of VMs control. that way you don't lose it if when there web mail goes rogue.

there are other badly designed servsise that rely on having somethign save in the cache - Tesco banking used to do it before I ditched them. They did say if you delete your cache we will text you a new security code - but I don't have a mobile- OK we will send you a 1st class letter instead - well OK but I delete my cache daily - can  you set that up on auto-repeat.....   and that was the end of tesco secure banking for me.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

A modern web browser's data cache is not “volatile temporary storage” as evident by the varied type of data held, for instance, media licenses, hosted app data, etc; IMHO, expediency is the reason behind the advice of clearing a browser's data cache.

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

i disagree, it is often a fixed sized storage location which the browser manages on a FIFO basis,

A non-tech-savvy user has no way of knowing /controlling what will be kept and what will be auto-deleted to make room for new stuff, or wiped by a windows feature update...

I cite Wikipedia:

A web cache (or HTTP cache) is an information technology for the temporary storage (caching) of...

and more generally

In computing, a cache /ˈkæʃ/ kash,[1] is a hardware or software component that stores data so future requests for that data can be served faster; the data stored in a cache might be the result of an earlier computation, or the duplicate of data stored elsewhere. A cache hit occurs when the requested data can be found in a cache, while a cache miss occurs when it cannot. Cache hits are served by reading data from the cache, which is faster than recomputing a result or reading from a slower data store; thus, the more requests can be served from the cache, the faster the system performs.

To be cost-effective and to enable efficient use of data, caches are relatively small.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Web cache is one of the functions of the Web Browser's data cache and it uses a Least Recently Used algorithm to evicted entries. Instead of clearing the whole data cache try selecting  those entries for Virgin Media;  AFAICS that is approximately 30 cookies and associated entries in History.

0 Kudos