Menu
beyonder
Dialled in
Message 1 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Missing emails following switch to 'new Virgin Media Mail'

My switch apparently took place today.  I use Outlook as my client, using IMAP.  Inbox looks as before, but 'Bin' has emptied, and when I go to Virgin Media webmail, I find that the Google Mail Bin folder has also emptied, and even more worryingly the All Mail folder is missing thousands of emails, seemingly randomly.  And the All Mail folder has also been recreated in my Outlook client.  How is this an improved service?  And how do I get my emails back?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
beyonder
Dialled in
Message 16 of 38
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Missing emails following switch to 'new Virgin Media Mail'

Nicola

Thanks for your reply and thanks for looking into this.  As it happens, I've now found the missing emails, in an unexpected way.  I've shared the details below in case they may be of interest to other customers.

Prior to the migration, the emails in question were in the Bin folder in webmail.  This was emptied during the migration and the emails did not appear in any of the other folders left in webmail.  I read in the forum that some other users had found emails dumped in the Important folder, and I looked for that, but there was no Important folder remaining in webmail, or in my Outlook email client, so that looked like a dead end.

Then the other day I was reorganising my mail folders on my iPad when I saw a folder called Important.  Lo and behold, in it were the missing emails.  However, this folder was not showing up in webmail, even though I connect via IMAP.  Oddly, when I tried to create a new Important folder in webmail, in the hope it would synchronise, webmail labelled the new folder 'Important 2', with a message saying folder named Important already existed (even though it wasn't visible).

I then moved the Important folder into the Chats folder on the iPad, which does appear in webmail, hoping this would make it synchronise with webmail, but nothing happened.  I then moved it back under the [Google Mail] folders on the iPad.  A few seconds later, the Important folder appeared in webmail, and started to synchronise - all 4,695 messages which had been deleted.

When I looked at the contents of the Important folder, they had a filter applied - 'IMAP status equals Unmarked'.  I wonder if this was created as part of the migration process?  I'd also like to know why the Important folder wasn't visible in webmail.

This has all been a monumental waste of time, and could have been avoided if the migration had been better planned and communicated - we were not told the Bin folder would be emptied.  The only saving grace from my point of view is that I've learned a lot from some of the other members of this forum over the last few weeks.  I also commend your patience and fortitude, and that of your colleagues.  You're in the front line dealing with a situation which is not of your making.

All Replies
Message 2 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Hi Beyonder,

Sorry to hear the email migration hasn't gone smoothly. Is this only in your Outlook client? The Bin folders will have been emptied as part of the migration, there was a letter and email sent out to advise of this a few weeks before the migration took place. Apologies for any inconvenience caused. 

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
beyonder
Dialled in
Message 3 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Hi John.  The emails are missing from webmail as well as from my Outlook client.  I get about 10 emails a day, but there's nothing in the All Mail folder in webmail after 19th June, and even in the days and months before then there are few emails.  Your colleague Nicola C has also picked up on my query, via a comment I posted in another message, and I've shared this same response with her.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Hello beyonder

Thanks for getting back and supplying the affected email address. Probably best if we keep this thread updated rather than the other one as you originated it.

I wanted to confirm that the mail box had migrated successfully and it seems to have, all looking good here.

Just to be sure we are both on the same page and you see the new interface, please if you follow this link drop down the "My old emails seem to be missing? How can I find them?" When you log into your webmail it looks like that i.e. the new interface and the folders on the left "All mail" "Bin" etc do not contain what was in your previous mailboxes?

Approximately how many emails are we talking about by the way?

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
beyonder
Dialled in
Message 5 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Hi Nicola

Yes, I've done all that, logged in via webmail, opened up My Folders, then [Google Mail], then looked in the All Mail folder.  Previously, as per Gmail conventions, it held a copy of every email received and every email sent.  Now there is nothing in it since 19th June, and a large proportion of the emails prior to 19th June have disappeared.  The prior missing emails seem to be from the period from 31 August 2014, when I bought a new Windows 8.1 PC and switched to IMAP.  I'd estimate 1,000+ are missing

0 Kudos
beyonder
Dialled in
Message 6 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Nicola

I've been pondering this further, and I have an idea what might have happened.  I think it may be to do with the way the emails in the Bin were deleted.  The common factor among the emails that are missing is that at one stage or another they were in the Bin, i.e. they had the 'Bin' label in Gmail. Therefore, I wonder whether when the migration happened the process deleted not only the contents of the Bin at the time of migration, but also any item in All Mail which had previously had a 'Bin' label.

There are two main reasons I've come to this theory.  Firstly, emails used to stay in the Bin for about six weeks before they were deleted (I had Webmail set to delete from the Bin after 30 days, but they seemed to stay longer than that).  So it's possible the contents at the Bin at the time of my migration on 5th August were emails that dated from the period 19th June to 5th August.

Secondly, I switched from POP3 to IMAP in September 2014.  Prior to that, I'd only accessed emails via my Outlook client on my PC using POP3, so deleted emails went into the Deleted Emails folder in Outlook, but did not go into the Bin in Webmail, because I wasn't using IMAP.  The emails that are missing from All Mail are from the period September 2014 to August 2015, so a lot of them would have been labelled Bin at some point.  I can't think why some of the emails remain from that period, but that's another question.

I do want to keep these emails.  I didn't mind them being deleted from the Bin because I knew they were still in the All Mail folder in Webmail, but I do not want them to be deleted permanently.

The solution therefore seems to be for Virgin to reinstate everything that was labelled All Mail at the point immediately prior to migration.  What do you think?

Tags (1)
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Hello beyonder

Thank you for getting back and the extra information, most informative.

We are investigating your missing email issue ref F003839840 and I have passed all your details on to our engineers.

We will do our best to keep you updated however please feel free to ask for an update anytime.

Many thanks 

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
beyonder
Dialled in
Message 8 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Morning All

I'd appreciate an update from the Forum Team on my missing email issue - ref F003839840.  It's two weeks now since my account was migrated, and I'd like the emails which were deleted from All Mail and Bin to be reinstated so I can get my records back in order.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Hello beyonder

Thank you for your patience, we have not forgotten you.

I have just spoken to the engineers and mentioned you personally again, we are still looking into it. Hopefully we will have some answers soon.

Thank you 

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
beyonder
Dialled in
Message 10 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Morning All

Three weeks now since I raised this issue about emails deleted during the migration.  Any ideas when the engineers will provide a solution?

Thanks.

0 Kudos