Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Making Waves
westwinds31

Microsoft Outlook settings using Virgin Media

Hi,

Just changed my whole package to incorporate TV, Broadband and phone line through Virgin, but am having difficulty setting up Microsoft Outlook using the @virginmedia.com email address that I have set up.

my settings are

pop.virginmedia.com

smtp.virginmedia.com

is this right ? I've found a few forums using google that say that Virgin can't use Outlook...only Outlook Express ...am I doing something wrong here ?

Please use plain text.
Superuser
BenMcr

Re: Microsoft Outlook settings using Virgin Media

[ Edited ]

What problems are you having.

The setup instruction on this page should work http://www.virginmedia.com/help/virginmediamail/4_pop.php no matter which program you are using

Remember you have to enable POP access before it will work http://www.virginmedia.com/help/virginmediamail/1_yoursettings.php#13273

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
westwinds31

I was using Microsoft Outlook not outlook express when I was using Orange broadband but now I can't use the virgin settings to get my email set up very frustrating and time consuming

Please use plain text.
Superuser
BenMcr

[ Edited ]

westwinds31 wrote:

I was using Microsoft Outlook not outlook express when I was using Orange broadband but now I can't use the virgin settings to get my email set up very frustrating and time consuming

Yes I know you are using Outlook but the pop/smtp and username settings are the same.

You need to be specific in exactly what isn't working for anyone to help. Just 'I can't use the settings' isn't helpful

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
westwinds31

OK...here are the problems that I am having.

I have tried to set up my virginmedia email using Microsoft Outlook (not Express !)

The settings that I am using are as follows:

My name - inserting my name

Email address - emailaddress@virginmedia.com

Account Type - POP3

Incoming mail server - pop3.virginmedia.com

OUtgoing mail server (SMTP) - smtp.virginmedia.com

Logon information

User name - my email address@virginmedia.com

Password - as set up with virgin

Remember password box - ticked

Require logon using Secure Password Authentication (SPA) unticked

When I test account setting.....the "log onto incoming mail server (POP3) says "failed" and the "send test email message also says "failed" with a red cross against the task.

========================================

2 error messages below....

Log onto incoming mail server (POP3): Outlook cannot connect to your incoming (POP3) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).

Send test e-mail message: Outlook cannot connect to your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).

=========================================

In further email settings

General tab has my email address in the "type the name by which you want to refer to this account"

Outgoing server tab has "use same settings as my incoming mail server" selected

Advanced tab has Incoming server POP3 - 110 and Outgoing server SMTP - 25

No emails received and I can't send any either.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
BenMcr

[ Edited ]

westwinds31 wrote:

In further email settings

General tab has my email address in the "type the name by which you want to refer to this account"

Outgoing server tab has "use same settings as my incoming mail server" selected

Advanced tab has Incoming server POP3 - 110 and Outgoing server SMTP - 25

No emails received and I can't send any either.

That is because you haven't set it up correctly! From the setup guide I linked to earlier:

Click the Advanced tab.

Fill in the following information:*

• Check the box next to This server requires a secure connection (SSL) under Outgoing Mail (SMTP).
  • Enter 465 in the Outgoing mail (SMTP): field.
  • Under Outgoing Mail (SMTP), check the box next to This server requires a secure connection (SSL).
  • Under Incoming mail (POP3), check the box next to This server requires a secure connection (SSL). The port will change to 995.

And here is a link with all the settings needed in a table http://www.virginmedia.com/help/virginmediamail/4_pop.php#76150

Please use plain text.
Good to Know
gump316

You need to enable SSL for both incoming and outgoing mail.

The SMTP port needs to be set to 465, not 25.

The POP3 port needs to be set to 995, not 110.

John

--
I have previously worked for one of Virgin Media's partners.
My personal site: http://espirian.co.uk/
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
westwinds31

Ok....added those settings and this is the error that I now get...can't send a test message by the looks of things...they are queuing up in my outbox.

========================================================

Send test e-mail message: Outlook cannot connect to your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).

Please use plain text.
Good to Know
gump316

Perhaps there's a more fundamental issue.

Try temporarily disabling any security software you have running, just in case it is blocking e-mail access.

If you pull up a command line (Start > Run > command), you can try to 'ping' (i.e. test) the e-mail server to see if it responds. Type in the following command and press Enter:

ping smtp.virginmedia.com

The results should look something like this:

PING smtp.virginmedia.com (62.254.26.195): 56 data bytes

64 bytes from 62.254.26.195: icmp_seq=0 ttl=118 time=20.967 ms

64 bytes from 62.254.26.195: icmp_seq=1 ttl=118 time=18.455 ms

64 bytes from 62.254.26.195: icmp_seq=2 ttl=118 time=18.326 ms

64 bytes from 62.254.26.195: icmp_seq=3 ttl=118 time=18.481 ms

(Sorry if this is teaching you to suck eggs.)

John

--
I have previously worked for one of Virgin Media's partners.
My personal site: http://espirian.co.uk/
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
rogerp

Hello

I would appreciate your help here big time.

I have recently developed a website of my own (http://www.mysite.com) using the Mr Site Pro software, and I am attempting to configure Outlook for the site's email (mail@mysite.com). Note: I am using 'mysite.com' instead of my own real web address as this is not for promotional purposes...

As it stands right now, I can get the incoming mail ok. Its just the outgoing mail that I cannot set up. Having looked at the standard info supplied on this site, all I can find is info relating to virgin-related isp's in conjunction with outlook express.

I do not rely on Virgin for any email, inbound or outbound, and I am somewhat perplexed as to which outgoing mail server SMTP to use. Apparently we used to have a blue yonder email account here at this address years ago, but the recommended setting of smtp.blueyonder.co.uk just isn't working. Nor for that matter are any of the others i.e. smtp.virginmedia.com etc.

Could it be another type of advanced security setting that I am doing wrong??????

Your urgent reply would be appreciated.
Regards

Please use plain text.