Menu
Bluecrane57
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Mailer-Daemon Messages

I have just recently started getting  email messages that I have sent to family back from

Mailer-Daemon@smtpq.2.tb.uk.mail.iss.as9143.net, the number after the smtpq ranges from 1 upwards, they all have another message that says Retry timeout exceeded.

Can someone please tell if this is a problem with Virgin or the recipients server, if it's Virgin then how do I resolve the problem and be able to send messages to family. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Mailer-Daemon Messages

It is the recipient's server rate limiting the acceptance of incoming mail. The messages come from VM's outgoing mail servers telling you it has tried to get the mail delivered but has been denied.

Tell us a bit more about the domain you are sending to - NOT the full e-mail address, just the bit after the @symbol and perhaps post the full message, also edited to remove personal identifying details.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Bluecrane57
Tuning in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

The domain I am sending to is Talktalk.net and then whole message is

subject: Fwd: mail delivery failed returned to sender

part_1595245_1444837615.1478646089803 nmime- version 1.0 content type:text/plain charset = UTF8 content-transfer-encoding 7 bit

from Mailer-Daemon@smtpq.2.tb.ukmail.iss.aas9143.net

The following address failed

@talktalk.net - retry timeout exceeded

I'm a real novice at this sort of thing so the message may as well be written in Chinese but any help gratefully received.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

You done great! We've seen this before. Talk Talk seem to rate limiting sends from VM. The usual thing is because they think the mail is coming from a source that sends spam. There is one set of circumstances that I can think of that can cause it but to be sure we need to the full message including the header of the returned mail (suitably edited). Otherwise TT have got it in for VM and only they can resolve it!

It would also be helpful to know what your SMTP settings are if you are using an e-mail client to send . Or are you sending via VM web mail?

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Bluecrane57
Tuning in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

The whole of the email is as follows:

Mail delivery failed: returned to sender

Mail delivery service

To ************@virginmedia.com

2 attachements  preview download

Fwd: Mail delivery...to sender  Part _ 2 dat (132)

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software

You sent the following message, but this message could not be delivered to all recipients

====================================================================================================

Subject: Fwd: Mail deivery failed returned to sender

part_1595245_1444837615.1478646089803 mime - version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain: charset = UTF - 8 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7 bit

from mailer-daemon@smtpq2.tb.ukmail.iss.as.9143.net

The following address failed    @talktalk.net  retry timeout exceeded

As far as I am aware I am using VM web mail, how and where can  I find my SMTP settings

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Just to settle things. Do you log into a web page with your e-mail address and password to access your mail. If you do this it is web mail and the issue is down to TT to resolve. I've seen another like this today in another thread. I'll provide more help if you are using an e-mail client like Outlook or Windows Live Mail or Thunderbird.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos
Bluecrane57
Tuning in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I go into VM homepage, click on email and sign in with my email address and a password and a tick box just lately that asks if I am a robot, maybe technology would be clearer if I was.

How do I get TT to resolve the issue, the person I am sending to says there is nothing wrong at his end and receives mail from others but not me.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Sorry but I can't deal now. Have to go out. I'll look at it again as soon as I can.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Bluecrane57
Tuning in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thank you so much for your help, I don't feel like throwing the computer out the window now. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I'll ask the Forum Team to take a look at this ASAP - however yours is not the only thread detailing this issue.

It looks as if TalkTalk are employing rate limiting as an anti spam measure, and this is impacting the Webmail platform.  

Ironic as Virgin media recently did the same thing to other senders.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.