Menu
magicmacca
Joining in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Mail playing up yet again

Once again I am having trouble sending mail, I have not touched or changed any settings but when trying to send mail I get the following message."

An unknown error has occurred.

Server: 'smtp.ntlworld.com'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x8007007A
Protocol: SMTP
Port: 25
Secure(SSL): No

Does anyone have any ideas on how to solve it??????????

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Mail playing up yet again

magicmacca wrote:

Once again I am having trouble sending mail, I have not touched or changed any settings but when trying to send mail I get the following message."

Server: 'smtp.ntlworld.com'
Port: 25
Secure(SSL): No

Does anyone have any ideas on how to solve it??????????

Shouldn't the port be set to 465 and SSL enabled?  Check your received mail settings too ...

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=2745&CURRENT_C...

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Read this

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-ecoms/windows-live-mail-error-code-0x800...

I'm guessing you're trying to send a photo album.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

magicmacca
Joining in
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your attempt at solving this but I fear it may yet again require the intervention of the tech dept,  I cannot log in to my mail account page on the virgin login page, I just get 3 dots fading in and out but a page never opens.......This unfortunately is about the third or fourth time I have had this chew on so I hopefully thought it may just be a simpler problem this time..........alas it does not appear so.

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

magicmacca wrote:

Thanks for your attempt at solving this but I fear it may yet again require the intervention of the tech dept,  I cannot log in to my mail account page on the virgin login page, I just get 3 dots fading in and out but a page never opens.......This unfortunately is about the third or fourth time I have had this chew on so I hopefully thought it may just be a simpler problem this time..........alas it does not appear so.

I have noticed that my own login to the webmail has been taking a ridiculously long time for the past few days and the 3 dots just keep pulsing but it does eventually open up the page.  There's definitely something wrong with the webmail login, it shouldn't take that long.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Webmail is a different issue - it uses different servers when sending.  You asked about a problem with Live Mail.  So lets deal with that and then we'll move on to Webmail.  Don't confuse an issue by throwing something else into the post.

I've seen this error on several occasions from other people.  Googling the error number and Windows Live mail has consistently brought up the cause as being down to Live Mail 2012 trying to send pictures stored on OneDrive using The Album feature.  All the previous posters reporting this error have confirmed this to be the issue.

So let me ask you this.  Does the email you are trying to send include picture attachments?

Ravenstar68

0 Kudos
magicmacca
Joining in
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Yes the mail contains one image as an attached file and not a photo album which as you say appears to be a problem

0 Kudos
magicmacca
Joining in
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your comment, how long exactly do you wait before the page opens? I have timed mine at over 2 minutes with nothing happening, this would appear excessive by any measure.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re Web Mail - I'm still waiting for it to open.  So it's definitely gone haywire again.

However as stated this is NOT the cause of your issue with Windows Live Mail.  Windows Live Mail 2012 was not coded to keep up with changes with OneDrive over the years.

Consequently the following features DO NOT WORK AS ORIGINALLY INTENDED.

New -> Photo Email
Insert -> Photo Album

I've just tested both.  Even if you use a folder on your PC to create the Album what's supposed to happen is this:

Windows Live Mail is supposed to create a temporary Folder on OneDrive to store the images, and then provide links to those images.

When you create your email I'm guessing it looks something like this:

I used Live Mail's Photo Email to create this.

Trying to send the above mail does indeed bring up the error message you quoted.

Server: 'smtp.virginmedia.com'
Port: 465
Secure(SSL): Yes

So instead do the following.

1. Delete the current mail in your Outbox.  Live Mail will keep trying to create the OneDrive album and will fail.  So you'll still end up getting the same message.
  2. Create your new mail with just New->Email Message
  3. Do one of the following
    Drag and drop the picture into the mail body if you want it shown there. - OR
    Use Insert Attachment and navigate to the Photo Location to add it.
  4. Send your mail.

Here's what the same mail looks like using both options

Photo Dropped in bodyPhoto Dropped in bodyPhoto Dropped in body

Photo added as an attachmentPhoto added as an attachmentPhoto added as an attachment

In both cases the mail sends successfully.

Ravenstar68

Edit - As @Dave_cq stated, change your ports.  While they are not the cause of the problem the settings are outdated.  You should be using SSL for Incoming and Outgoing email on all Virgin's servers.  You are compromising your security otherwise.

Go into account properties and in the advanced tab tick SSL the incoming server number will change appropriately for the incoming ports.

Incoming POP3 995 - SSL
Incoming IMAP 993 - SSL

Outgoing SMTP - 465 SSL - note that when changing the outgoing server you should tick SSL and THEN change the port number.

Ravenstar68

Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Looking here: https://onedrive.uservoice.com/forums/262982-onedrive/suggestions/8563885-reverse-the-change-that-br...

It seems the changes took place around June 21st 2015.  Despite Microsoft saying they were investigating in July of the same year the issue remains unresolved.  Being as Microsoft have also broken the Exchange Sync with Hotmail and Outlook.com accounts this year.  We should probably consider the album feature now defunct as well.  Live Mail 2012 is unlikely to be further supported by Microsoft at this time.

Ravenstar68

0 Kudos