Menu
Highlighted
mozan7
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Mail icon missing since changed to Windows 7

Hi

I have always used the Virgin media email client -windows mail for many years and have a ntlworld.com email address. My Pc had Vista on it.

However I have just ugraded my pc to Windows 7 and can now no longer see the Virgin media default windows mail  icon in the start menu. 

Can anyone tell me why this is and how I can find it

Thanks

Ree

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
coenoby
Superfast
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Mail icon missing since changed to Windows 7

Hi Mozan7

I noticed that no-one has picked this one up for you.

Firstly, I assume that you were using the Microsoft Email Client 'Windows Mail' - that is/was not a VM product it was Microsoft's email client in Vista. The bad news is that Microsoft Windows 7 does not support 'Windows Mail'. 

Not sure I can give you any good news or easy answers but here are a couple of  useful links regarding the email issues arising from moving from Vista to Windows 7 that might be of help to you.

Windows 7 Forum

Ask Leo

Regards

Coenoby

If someone posts a helpful message you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as an Accepted Solution.
BillC45
Well-informed
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

From Wikipedia - 

"Windows Mail is an email and newsgroup client developed by Microsoft and included in the Windows Vista operating system. Windows Mail included fairly minimal changes to the application's user interface, but introduced major architectural changes when compared with its predecessor, Outlook Express, and is a fundamentally different application.[1]

Windows Mail was announced by Microsoft as the successor to Outlook Express on October 10, 2005 via its community website Channel 9.[2]

Unlike Outlook Express, which was available for versions of Windows in the 9x series and Windows NT, Windows Mail is not available for operating systems prior to Windows Vista, and is also not as tightly integrated with the Internet Explorer web browser.[1]

Windows Mail was superseded by Windows Live Mail in 2007.[3][4] Windows Live Mail also serves as the successor to Outlook Express on Windows XP."

Strongly suggest that you do not use anything which was superseded 9 years ago.

0 Kudos

All Replies
coenoby
Superfast
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Mozan7

I noticed that no-one has picked this one up for you.

Firstly, I assume that you were using the Microsoft Email Client 'Windows Mail' - that is/was not a VM product it was Microsoft's email client in Vista. The bad news is that Microsoft Windows 7 does not support 'Windows Mail'. 

Not sure I can give you any good news or easy answers but here are a couple of  useful links regarding the email issues arising from moving from Vista to Windows 7 that might be of help to you.

Windows 7 Forum

Ask Leo

Regards

Coenoby

If someone posts a helpful message you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as an Accepted Solution.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Not strictly true Windows Live Mail is available on Windows 7 but you may need to download it from the Microsoft website.  Search for Windows essentials.

However, you need to be aware that this is now 'old' software and is no longer being updated by Microsoft.  Indeed Microsoft have recently been sending out emails to say that in a month or so Windows Live Mail will no longer be able to receive email sent to Microsoft email addresses such as Outlook.com and the legacy addresses.

coenoby
Superfast
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

"Not strictly true Windows Live Mail is available on Windows 7"

That is true but 'Windows Live Mail' is not the same as 'Windows Mail' which is what is being asked for. Having said that it does the same job but it is different.

Coenoby

BillC45
Well-informed
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

From Wikipedia - 

"Windows Mail is an email and newsgroup client developed by Microsoft and included in the Windows Vista operating system. Windows Mail included fairly minimal changes to the application's user interface, but introduced major architectural changes when compared with its predecessor, Outlook Express, and is a fundamentally different application.[1]

Windows Mail was announced by Microsoft as the successor to Outlook Express on October 10, 2005 via its community website Channel 9.[2]

Unlike Outlook Express, which was available for versions of Windows in the 9x series and Windows NT, Windows Mail is not available for operating systems prior to Windows Vista, and is also not as tightly integrated with the Internet Explorer web browser.[1]

Windows Mail was superseded by Windows Live Mail in 2007.[3][4] Windows Live Mail also serves as the successor to Outlook Express on Windows XP."

Strongly suggest that you do not use anything which was superseded 9 years ago.

0 Kudos
mozan7
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Thank you all for your responses-they have been helpful and helped to clarify things
What if anything would you recommend to use instead? If Windows Live Mail is no longer supported by MS then it doesn't seem worth going for. I was thinking of maybe using MS Outlook instead. What do you think?

Ree
0 Kudos
BillC45
Well-informed
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Below is a fairly comprehensive list of approximately 891 email-related applications available for Windows. The choice is yours.

http://download.cnet.com/s/chat-voip-email-clients/windows/

If you are buying Microsoft Office anyway for Word , Excel etc, then by all means use Outlook which comes with that.

If you want a free e-mail client, I suggest Thunderbird.

0 Kudos
coenoby
Superfast
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I agree completely with BillC45. If you're using Microsoft Office then go with Outlook, Office 2016 is compatible with Windows 7 so you could even go with that. If you're using one of the free office suites then Thunderbird is a good option. I used it for quite a while and had no complaints. The other option of course is not to use an email client but to use VM Webmail. However I guess that since you were using an email client you have reasons for not taking that option and I would not try to persuade you to change your mind. Coenoby
0 Kudos
mozan7
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Thanks for the list of options-will take a look and look into Thunderbird. We always have MS Office so always have Outlook although have never used it on a home PC. I use it at work and find it ok.

I will investigate. I am assuming that with Outlook we should be able to keep the email address we had with Windows mail which would be handy and not have to inform people of change in address

Thanks again to Bill C and Coenoby for the useful info

Ree
0 Kudos