Menu
Quilter61
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Mail doesn't work on my Apple Mac

Greetings:

I hope someone can help me.

On October 15th the Mail application on my Apple Mac stopped working. I could receive emails, but none would go out. I'd been having intermittant problems for some time, but on this day, everything stopped. I have been using my webmail server for sending emails since then, which isn't satisfactory.

I have a MacBook Pro with OS X El Capitan, Version 10.11.6 and my mail client is Apple Mail. I can't recreate my account because authentication fails, even though I am using the same username and password as for my webmail account. At one point I had trouble resetting the password and Virgin Support had to fix something to get it working again, which they did, but this didn't help with my mail application. Interestingly, we have other mail accounts in the house using the same IMAP and those are working fine. It's just on my computer that it doesn't work. When I look at Account Information on my Preferences, the lines for Incoming Mail Server and User name are greyed out and I can't change them. 

I had my Apple tech man try everything he could. He took over my computer and tried changing the preferences, but every time he did, the information didn't save and went straight back to what it was before. Finally, after many hours and several attempts, he said I should go to Blueyonder to ask for help. I spent one hour on the phone with one advisor who said he'd call me back. He never did.

I spent my second hour on the phone with Blueyonder the following week, and I now no longer have a usable mail account at all. He wiped out all my emails and the mail application is now empty. I still have the emails on my server, thankfully. He said I needed a computer technician and that I should tell him that he is "unable to download or install mail on the computer". He basically refused to help me any further. My technician suggested I contact this site.

I would very much appreciate any help or advice with this, as I wanted to send out my Christmas email with a photo, and the photos don't go out in the correct size from the webmail server. But also, it's very frustrating not to have the use of my mail account because if I can't get onto my webmail account I have not access to my emails at all!

Thanks so much as I am in total despair.

All best wishes,

Linda

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 26
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Mail doesn't work on my Apple Mac

Hello Linda

Welcome to our forum, I am truly sorry for the email problems you are having and for your experiences contacting us. I assumed the problem email address is the same one you have registered on the forum with, if so it is failing our diagnostic checks and looks to be a fault here. I have raised a it to our IT team to investigate further ref P007690518, please allow us up to a week and we will update you once we hear back.

If it is a different email address you are having a problem with please send it me in a forum private message, we will happily take another look.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 26
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello Linda

You are welcome and thank you for your patience. We believe we have fixed it, we are able to access okay from here now, please would you give it a try and let us know how it goes.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 26
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello Linda

Welcome to our forum, I am truly sorry for the email problems you are having and for your experiences contacting us. I assumed the problem email address is the same one you have registered on the forum with, if so it is failing our diagnostic checks and looks to be a fault here. I have raised a it to our IT team to investigate further ref P007690518, please allow us up to a week and we will update you once we hear back.

If it is a different email address you are having a problem with please send it me in a forum private message, we will happily take another look.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
Quilter61
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Thanks so much for any help you can give me. This has been very frustrating for me as you can imagine!

Best wishes,

Linda

and yes, that is the email that isn't working

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Hello Linda

I am really sorry I appreciate this must have been so frustrating, just not knowing why is quite stressful and being given duff advice on top of that compounds the issue. Apologies for the time we are taking but we can definitely see a problem our end but are having difficulties locating it, hopefully not too much longer, we will keep you updated.

Many thanks for your patience

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
Quilter61
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Thank you so much for helping me. I really appreciate it!

Linda

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 26
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello Linda

You are welcome and thank you for your patience. We believe we have fixed it, we are able to access okay from here now, please would you give it a try and let us know how it goes.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
Quilter61
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Hi, Thanks so much for your help. I've just turned on Mail, but am getting the following message:

This Mac can't connect to iCloud because of a problem with "laseward@blueyonder.co.uk". Open iCloud preference to fix this problem.

I have done that and now have an exclamation point on my mail which says:

Unable to Connect.

There may be a problem wtih the mail server or network. Verify the settings for account "removed@blueyonder.co.uk" or try again.

The server returned the error. The atempt to read data from the server "imap.blueyonder.co.uk" failed.

I tried to take all accounts online but that didn't work.

So I've gone to Mail preferences, Accounts, Advanced and this is my imap path prefix: imap4.blueyonder.co.uk  port is 993 and use SSL is ticked. What should I do now?

Many thanks,

Linda

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Quilter61
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 26
Flag for a moderator

I am no longer able to send emails from my server either! Nothing is working!

Thanks,

Linda

0 Kudos
Quilter61
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 26
Flag for a moderator

OK, I have just managed to send an email from my server so that is ok. But Mail still isn't working.
Thanks again,
Linda
0 Kudos
Quilter61
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 26
Flag for a moderator

I've unclicked the SSL and the port number has changed to 143

not sure what that will do!
Linda
0 Kudos