Menu
RoyCa
Tuning in
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Mail Delivery Failed for 11 recipients

I regularly send out group emails to around 160 people and never have a problem. On the 5th November I forwarded a message to around 166 people and on the 9th November I had 11 returned - mail delivery failed - timed out. Has there been a problem with Virginmedia mail that I don't know about? This has never happened before.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Mail Delivery Failed for 11 recipients

True but Virgin may well need to discuss what's happening with TalkTalk - postmaster to postmaster.

Edit - I've flagged this to the mods to rais it to the Forum Team's attention.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 20 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi RoyCa & others,

Glad to hear it's all sorted. Apparently, shortly after my last post (in fact minutes after my last post) the block on our IP range was lifted thus allowing mail to reach Talktalk & Tiscali recipients.

I'm not going to assign blame here. Things happen, things are reported and things get fixed. VM liaised with Talktalk and between them they managed to resolve this. So kudos to them and to you guys for reporting it.

All the best Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Was there anything in common with the recipients.  For example were they on domains managed by TalkTalk?

Edit - If you're not sure - list the domains that failed - NOT the full addresses.  and post the actual error message.

Ravenstar68

0 Kudos
RoyCa
Tuning in
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Ah Yes. They were equally split between Tiscali and Talktalk. No others.

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

You sent the following message, but this message could not be delivered to all recipients:

======================================================================
Subject: Fwd: Temporary Player needed for Manchester league
------=_Part_1450213_930306310.1478378855529 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Forwarded as requested to Bolton players by Bcc. Roy Caswell -------- Original Message ---------- From: Arek Wojciak

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

You've missed out some of the error message.

Wes this sent by Webmail.  And does the message have retry timeout exceeded in it?

0 Kudos
RoyCa
Tuning in
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Here is the whole thing with emails cut out:

"Mail delivery failed : returned to sender
E-mail from Mail Delivery System: Mail delivery failed : returned to sender

09/11/2016 21:02
Mail Delivery System

To  *********@ntlworld.com  

2 attachmentsPreviewDownload
This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

You sent the following message, but this message could not be delivered to all recipients:

Subject: Fwd: Temporary Player needed for Manchester league
------=_Part_1450213_930306310.1478378855529 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Forwarded as requested to Bolton players by Bcc. Roy Caswell -------- Original Message ---------- From: Arek Wojciak <****************@gmail.com> To:

The following addresses failed:

******@tiscali.co.uk
retry timeout exceeded."

It seems to me from what you originally said that it is not a Virginmedia problem but the responsibility of Tiscali/Talktalk.

[MOD EDIT: For your security personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

True but Virgin may well need to discuss what's happening with TalkTalk - postmaster to postmaster.

Edit - I've flagged this to the mods to rais it to the Forum Team's attention.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi RoyCa,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Impossible to say at this point whether the issue is with us or TalkTalk/Tiscali, either is probable.

I'll happily flag this to Postmaster to see if we can unearth what's happening. Would you please provide the data requested in my PM (purple envelope icon, top right of page) so that I have something to bring to the table as it were?
I'll likely take a look at your SMTP logs - if the failed sent mail was successfully queued the retry attempts could have continued for up to 4 days. That would fit in with the NDR being delivered on the 9th. 
Anyhow, I'll await your reply to my PM and let you know what happens next Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

RoyCa
Tuning in
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I have just had four more returned from a different group email sent on the 7th November. All returned on the 11th. Same message and all talktalk/tiscali. Luckely no harm done.

0 Kudos
AlanT2
Joining in
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I have had a similar problem.  I regularly send out e-mails to a distribution list of about 40 people who use a range of internet providers.  About a week ago e-mails sent to two of the people, the only ones who use talktalk, were returned to me after a couple of days marked 'undeliverable' and 'timed out'.  The same people receive e-mails sent by me to them using gmail accounts, and I have received e-mails from them to my ntlworld e-mail address.

I spoke to a Virginmedia adviser this afternoon and, after consulting colleagues, she told me that there is some sort of dispute between virginmedia and talktalk, and talk talk have 'blacklisted' e-mails sent from virginmedia servers.  Apparently, the two service providers are trying to resolve this dispute (I wasn't told what it is about) with a view to restoring the service between them, and we will be informed when it is all working again.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who knows more about this.

0 Kudos
RoyCa
Tuning in
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I have just today had ten emails from a group email to a tennis group of 150 returned. So as yet the problem is still outstanding. This is particularly annoying as it was to tell everyone of the death and funeral arrangements of a long standing and well respected committee member. So I am going to have to explain to talktalk and Tiscali email holders why I didn't bother to inform them.

What am I supposed to do? Go back to gmail?

0 Kudos