Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Making Waves
davethornhill
Helpful Answer

Mac mail smtp servers offline

Hi chaps. Mail on my mac isn't sending. It says the smtp server is offline. Useless virgin tech support asked me to change from smtp.ntlworld.com to smtp.virginmedia.com & change the port to 465 from 995 but it still doesn't work so they suggested I try the forums! (email still works ok on my iPhone & iPad) Can anyone help???!!!
Please use plain text.
Omniscient
slated

Re: Mac mail smtp servers offline

[ Edited ]

davethornhill wrote:
Hi chaps. Mail on my mac isn't sending. It says the smtp server is offline. Useless virgin tech support asked me to change from smtp.ntlworld.com to smtp.virginmedia.com & change the port to 465 from 995 but it still doesn't work so they suggested I try the forums! (email still works ok on my iPhone & iPad) Can anyone help???!!!

(I hope it never was on port 995, thaat is the port number for the POP3 server.)

However the advice seems sound, so long as you also set smtp authentication using password, and have your username set as your full @ntlworld.com email address.

for clarity, you need:

• smtp.virginmedia.com
  • port 465
  • SSL on
  • smtp authentication (=password)
Crafty
madoldbat

You are not alone, as you will see if you look at the many threads on the topic!

I made the changes you have, still didn't work so I tried tinkering with everything in Preferences - eventually got it functioning again when I change 'authentication' to 'password', rather than 'none' (which has worked fine for years). If that doesn't do it for you, the folks on this thread http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Incorrect-Mac-Mail-settings-for-ntlworld-com/td-p/230863 have very helpful advice.

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
davethornhill

Now I'm going completely round the bend... With my account set to 465 smtp.virginmedia.com ssl on & password as per your suggestion slated all my email in my inbox disappears! This in addition to sending email still not working...is this because the server has changed from smtp.ntlworld.com to smtp.VirginMedia.com? I though these were just the outgoing servers - do you have any more advice as this was all ok & untouched till yesterday. Btw it was on port 993 before not 995 my mistake. D.
Please use plain text.
Omniscient
slated

[ Edited ]

davethornhill wrote:
Now I'm going completely round the bend... With my account set to 465 smtp.virginmedia.com ssl on & password as per your suggestion slated all my email in my inbox disappears! This in addition to sending email still not working...is this because the server has changed from smtp.ntlworld.com to smtp.VirginMedia.com? I though these were just the outgoing servers - do you have any more advice as this was all ok & untouched till yesterday. Btw it was on port 993 before not 995 my mistake. D.

port 993 is for IMAP (incoming mail server - receiving)

port 995 is for POP3 (incoming mail server - receiving)

port 465 is for smtp (outgoing mail server - sending)

POP3 and IMAP are two quite different methods for incoming mail. IMAP mirrors your entire webmail account into your mail client. POP3 just downloads newly arrived stuff from the webmail inbox.

Changes to your outgoing mail server (smtp) should not affect your inbox.

But if you are using IMAP for incoming mail, and have inadvertently changed its port number from 993 to 995 then it won't work, which migh explain what is going on.

It sometimes helps if you reset your password via My VM - they seem to get corrupted occasionally in one or other of the servers, so you can end up with webmail working, but the client not working.

PS quite possibly you may be going round the bend as well :smileyvery-happy:

Making Waves
davethornhill

Thanks for your help - I didn't expect so much for so little! The good news is I've got it to send & receive again now, BUT as you rightly say I got all carried away & went & changed my IMAP path prefix & port in the mac mail advanced settings pane to something it shouldn't have been. The result being all my email in the inboxes for 2accounts has disappeared AARGH!! So I've left the iMac path prefix section blank, and made the port 993 with use ssl turned on. Authentication set to password. It now seems to be downloading 8034 incoming messages from god only knows where - aren't these on my machine already? If they are how in hells name do I get them back? They did reappear at one point when I changed the port number, but that doesnt seem to affect their return any more... A a result of NO help from VM, some stubbornness, & lots of stupidity i would definitely have gone round the bend & back again this evening - I'm really not cut out for this so many thanks for your help. I need a drink!
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
leytonrocks

Where do I get details for my full ntlworld.com email address? ... Or I'm using a 3rd party email via www.names.co.uk

I'm as round the bend as the original poster

Please use plain text.
Captain Clued-Up
Peter_Li

Hello leytonrocks,

Here are the details which you will need for any of our Email addresses. Even so they used to be different for blueyonder, virgin.net and ntlworld Email addresses, and partly still works with the old settings but here are the settings that will work with any of them.

Type of information

Settings to enter

Sending mail (SMTP)

SMTP server name

smtp.virginmedia.com

SMTP SSL

Enabled

SMTP port

SMTP authentication

Enabled (or 'Password' on Macs)

SMTP username

Full e-mail address, e.g., richard.branson@virginmedia.com

Receiving mail (POP3)

POP3 server name

pop3.virginmedia.com

POP3 SSL

Enabled

POP3 port

POP3 authentication

POP3 username

POP3 SPA (Secure Password Authentication)

Disabled

Receiving mail (IMAP4)

IMAP4 server name

imap.virginmedia.com

IMAP4 SSL

Enabled

IMAP4 port

IMAP4 authentication

IMAP4 username

IMAP4 SPA (Secure Password Authentication)

Disabled

Peter L
Help & Support Forum Team

Seen a useful post?Problem Solved?Fault with your service?

Please use plain text.
drk
Fresh as a Daisy
drk

smtp servers offline

This SMTP issue is driving my mead. For years, I have been able to get my scanner to email directly. Now, no matter what settings I use, I get a connection 7 error. It simply can't find an open port. Can anyone assist at all?

Please use plain text.
Superuser
Graham_A

Re: smtp servers offline

drk wrote:

This SMTP issue is driving my mead. For years, I have been able to get my scanner to email directly. Now, no matter what settings I use, I get a connection 7 error. It simply can't find an open port. Can anyone assist at all?

If you are using the smtp settings as set out above and are still getting problems maybe it is an issue with the scanner software.  What make and model of scanner is it?  Have you checked with the scanner manufacturers website? 

If I have solved your problem please click on the helpful answer button.
Please use plain text.