Menu
dickeverard
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Logging on with Long Passwords

I can log-on to this forum by pasting my 15 digit password but when logging on to my Virgin account, it won't let me "paste" my password.  The latest government (I think) recommendations suggest that all websites should allow "pasting" of passwords.  I have 128 different passwords which are up to 15 characters long.These are stored on a Password Manager supplied by my Computer Security company.  I can't possibly remember one password yet alone 128 and in fact for most sites I never even know what they are.  The are computer generated and I just paste into the password box and hey presto, I'm in.  But to get into my Virgin account, I have to write it down (bad security) and then type it in.  When will Virgin allow people to paste passwords - it is better for security.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Logging on with Long Passwords

No issue with pasting text in Username and Password fields, does the sign in screen look similar to this:

2017-03-13-00.jpeg

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I hope you are not trying to paste a 15-character password into a 10-character space. The limit for your main email account password is 10.

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

dickeverard
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

No and how could i have a 15 character password if it only allows 10 characters.  You can't paste anything.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

dickeverard wrote:

No and how could i have a 15 character password if it only allows 10 characters.  You can't paste anything.

As stated in reply 2 it is perfectly possible to paste passwords into the Virgin Media sign in screens.  

If you cannot paste on your system then there is something else wrong.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Well if both myself and 用心棒 can paste in passwords, and nobody else has mentioned this issue, the problem must lie with your particular configuration.

Which combination of hardware and software (Windows/Mac/browser/ etc) are you using? 

Assuming you have selected the password using Ctrl + C,  please describe precisely what happens when you locate the cursor in the box and press Ctrl + V?

0 Kudos
dickeverard
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I agree that you can paste on Virgin Media Account but not if accessing your Virgin Mobile Account on Virgin Media.  Sorry if I caused any confusion.  See below:

Virgin Mobile Account Log-in.jpg

Virgin Mobile Account Log-in.jpg

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for clarifying that.  I have just tried in both IE11 and Chrome and can replicate that situation.  The email address field will accept 'paste' but the password field seems to disable such functions.

I wonder if it is by design due to brute force attacks or a coding error?

@ModTeam

Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

This issue generated some recent discussion – here -

https://security.stackexchange.com/questions/131106/is-there-any-reason-to-disable-paste-password-on...

This is one of the views expressed -

The main security argument to disallow copy&pasting of passwords is that the password remains in the users clipboard afterwards. This can lead to accidental exposure of the password in an unrelated context. For example when the user then accidently pastes it into a different input field in a different application (web or otherwise). Another possible scenario could be when the user walks away from their device without locking it and someone else presses ctrl+v to check what they have in their clipboard.

However, this is a really small risk compared to the huge security advantages password managers have. Also, password managers often have a feature to auto-clear the clipboard a few seconds after copying a password from them which greatly reduces this risk.

Perhaps the Mod Team would care to comment further on the issue.

@ModTeam

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Graham_A wrote:

I wonder if it is by design due to brute force attacks or a coding error?

ReCaptcha is still being used to stop brute force attacks and this looks like either an ill-conceived attempt to process key strokes or, as you suggested, a coding error.

0 Kudos