Menu
varun
Tuning in
Message 1 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Legitimate emails being blocked as spam at ntlworld.com/blueyonder.co.uk/virginmedia.com

We're seeing a lot of legitimate email being blocked as spam, particularly to ntlworld.com,  blueyonder.co.uk and virginmedia.com domains: Below is an example of the error code we are seeing

554 5.2.0 S9HA1t00e4v5flU019HBm6 Spam content found

This issue appears to be affecting multiple customers of our client. Considering the profile and reputation of some of the email being blocked, we believe these blocks to be in error. If someone can get in touch and advise on how this problem can be resolved that would be great!

0 Kudos
Wrock
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Re: Legitimate emails being blocked as spam at ntlworld.com/blueyonder.co.uk/virginmedia.com

Indeed, for many months, there have been dozens of reports of legitimate emails not being delivered to Virgin Media addresses.  Virgin Media appears to be whitelisting domains one by one rather than solving the underlying issue.  As a result, holders of Virgin Media email accounts are likely to be receiving only a portion of email that others are trying to send to them.  There has been at least one newspaper article on the topic, when the NHS in Northamptonshire found in May that they were unable to deliver email to Virgin Media accounts.

http://wardinewrock.blogspot.com/2016/05/legitimate-emails-blocked-to-virgin.html

-Wrock.

0 Kudos
varun
Tuning in
Message 3 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Re: Legitimate emails being blocked as spam at ntlworld.com/blueyonder.co.uk/virginmedia.com

Hello Virginmedia team,

I've not received any answer for my post from your end. Could somebody please reach out to me and help me resolve this issue. Our mutual customers have not been receiving emails due to this is problem.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 29
Flag for a moderator

That's because you ticked the "helpful answer" option so the Team think (and rightly so) that your problem has been resolved. So who's to blame for the non-response?

Please remove the tick - it's under "post options" and I'll ask the Forum Mods to put this thread back in the queue for attention.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
varun
Tuning in
Message 5 of 29
Flag for a moderator

@HowardML - Thanks! I've removed the tick. Please add this thread back in the queue.

Appreciate your help.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Hi varun,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's great having you here even though the circumstances are less than perfect Smiley Sad 

Apologies about the issues you have been having with the Spam Content Found error message. 

I have sent you a private message regarding this. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Speak soon,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
varun
Tuning in
Message 7 of 29
Flag for a moderator

I sent email with all details included to the address provide by your team. I've not heard nothing back from them. Our legitimate emails are being blocked & mutual customers are suffering due to this. Kindly escalate and ask your team to contact me asap.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 29
Flag for a moderator

@Kath_F @danbayliss

So sick and tired of seeing these posts dealt with so inefficiently. (BTW this is NOT a dig at the Forum Team, but a dig at the running of the email service)

FWIW this is my thoughts.

Someone needs to pull the finger out and force the change of Spam settings for all users to Mark as Spam and put in Spam folder.  Accompany this with a message upon logging into webmail that this has taking place and why.  I've suggested this repeatedly, yet we still have no further movement in this regard.

As I've said elsewhere - it won't stop the mail being mis-classified by the inbound content filters, but at least it will be delivered to the end users - albeit in their spam folders.

While I appreciate that Virgin are in effect dealing with a third party - Ziggo (Another Liberty Global company) to run the mail platform, you need more efficient lines of communication aimed at resolving these problems.

1 year on and senders are STILL being bounced.  Including some big name senders.  This is IMHO an ANNIVERSARY OF SHAME.

People deserve to have a proper response to this issue rather than just be repeatedly referred to the postmaster. Smiley Sad

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Let me be blunt (well as blunt as I can be on a public forum and within all the bounds of decency). I agree with ravenstar68 and associate myself completely with his comments.

One small simple change (spam default settings) would do much to clear this up and make the discussion Boards more manageable while the details of the spam filters get sorted.

Clear?

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
Community Lead
Community Lead
Message 10 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Please know that while I'm unable to go into details, the email and security team here are continuing to revise and refine the whole email spam management process.

We've made numerous changes since we launched the new platform, and will continue to do so going forward.

With regards to the processes to get these individual URLs fixed, we're passing on your details to the right people who can get things fixed. 

James

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide