Menu
Andy_P
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Leaving Virgin - what happens to email addresses?

This is probably a stupid question with an obvious answer, but I just want to double-check...

I am moving home, from London to Somerset, into an area that is not covered by Virgin (boo-hoo), and they have no plans to cable it either (double boo-hoo!). So Virgin and me have to part company.

When I close the account, I'm guessing I lose access to all of the family's email addresses as well?

This is going to be a nightmare as I and the other family members have dozens, if not hundreds, of logins to other sites, accounts, webforums etc. which all use my email address as the user name.

Obviously if it's JUST a user name they will still work, but many have no option to change the contact email details.

Also, during the days and weeks of the move itself, I'm going to be depending on my emails even more then usual.

So... am I right? Is there no way to keep my email addresses going after I move?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Leaving Virgin - what happens to email addresses?

The email addresses should be closed down 90 days after you cease to be a VM broadband customer.  If you can't get a VM cable broadband connection in your new home there is nothing you can do to keep the addresses active after that 90 day period.  Some former customers report that the email accounts work beyond that period but you cannot rely on this being the case.

Best thing to do is set up new email addresses that are not tied to an ISP account such as gmail or outlook.com (others available to) and start letting your contacts know and begin changing your log on details and email address for the sites etc currently using the vm address.

Andy_P
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the swift answer Graham, much appreciated.

It's not the news I was hoping for, but it's certainly what I was expecting.

However the 90 day handover period *is* great news, that will make the fraught days of the actual move go a lot more smoothly.

Still, while packing some stuff I DID come across what might be a suitable alternative to my current 200MB Virgin deal...

AOL.gif

... so I should be fine!

0 Kudos
Andy_P
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

(Joke)
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Andy_P wrote:
(Joke)

Surprisingly we got that - and a rather good one!

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Indeed we did! As it happens one of my regular contacts still uses his aol.com email address.

I also still have and use an MSN.com address from the same era.

Certainly wouldn't be keen to go back to dial up access. I remember leaving the PC on all night to download the latest beta version of windows.
J0hn
Super solver
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I would take a new email address soonest, it means that if you lose the email sooner than expected (this has happened) you still have a valid email, it enables you to change our details in a more timely manner informing all your contacts, changing logon details, also putting an out of office on you email giving your new address, you can be sorted before you actually move(with a little bit of organisation and forethought