Menu
grahamp1
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Keeping 'old' email address after moving to Virgin

Just moved from Plusnet to Virgin. Part of the decision was that I was clearly told I could continue to use my Plusnet email accounts (had them for 14 years so very familiar to my contacts).

Plusnet also gave me continued free use of their email addresses.

Proving impossible. I think I must change the Plusnet account properties in some way but can't find any clear instructions how to do it. Live Chat hopeless, can NEVER get hold of them.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Keeping 'old' email address after moving to Virgin

grahamp1 wrote:

They confirmed they were continuing my email service free. Having been with them 14 years, I suspect it may be a ploy to lure me back some time in the future. Not going to happen !

Based on my readings, I'd be very surprised if they let you have it for free indefinitely - Reading up as late as March 2016 - This reply on the Plusnet site to someone who was leaving.

https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/Retaining-Plusnet-email-address/td-p/1307761

I'm sorry to hear you're thinking of leaving. If you do decide to leave and want to keep your email with us, you'll need to give our Customer Options Team a call on 0800 013 2632 (Selecting the option for thinking of leaving) and request that your account is downgraded to a mail only account for £20.28 a year when the services leave, instead of a full account closure.

Which is £1.69 per month.

To avoid further issues in the future I would double check and set up a payment plan with them, otherwise you could well end up in a similar situation the next billing cycle.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Check that email authentication options for the account are selected; previously this would not have been required because you were connected to the PlusNet network. FYI, read  What other settings do I need? here.

0 Kudos
grahamp1
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks but didn't appear to work. Error message:

The message could not be sent because the server rejected the sender's email address. The sender's email address was 'viv@clivep.plus.com'.

Subject 'Test of Virgin'
Server Error: 550
Server Response: 550 <########@ clivep.plus.com> sender rejected - invalid domain (no MX or A record)
Server: 'relay.plus.net'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC78
Protocol: SMTP
Port: 587
Secure(SSL): No

I have a PlusNet email account with 2 users, so my email address is (this is not the real one) persona@grahamp.plus.com and my wife has the same with her name replacing 'persona' (say 'personb'). The way this works is 'grahamp' is the prefix. So my user id to PlusNet would be 'graham+persona and my wife's graham+personb.

Hope this helps.

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Have you tried sending an email from your plusnet.com email account to your virginmedia.com email account to see how the persona email address is format?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I've done some digging - and found something that Plusnet really should have made you aware of at the following link.

https://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/ask-our-expert/can-i-keep-my-old-email-address-ask-our-expert

Plusnet Webmail

Plusnet (www.plus.net) offers a mail-only package, for customers who cancel their Plusnet broadband but still want to keep their email. It costs a small fee each month, paid by direct debit like your broadband, and gives you access to all the same email functions as well as some Member Centre features. However, make sure you request the mail-only package when you cancel your broadband - otherwise it'll be too late and your account will be deleted.

While I don't expect Virgin to know the full details of other Provider's email provisions, one would expect that if you asked the question, "Can I keep my old email address if I become a Virgin Customer?"  They would advise you to check with your current provider.

Plusnet on the other hand should certainly be aware of the above, so for them to advise you you can keep your email address for free is at odds with this information.

I did also look at the Error message.  Essentially what the Plusnet server is trying to do is to validate the sender address - that is your plusnet address.  Amongst other things it looks for the mail server responsible for the domain clivep.plus.com

C:\Users\timdu>dig clivep.plus.com -t MX

; <<>> DiG 9.10.4-P2 <<>> clivep.plus.com -t MX
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, id: 6629
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 512
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;clivep.plus.com.               IN      MX

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
plus.com.               1799    IN      SOA     ns1.force9.net. hostmaster.force9.net. 2017012727 6002 2580 604800 8640

;; Query time: 46 msec
;; SERVER: 8.8.8.8#53(8.8.8.8)
;; WHEN: Fri Jan 27 08:54:24 GMT Standard Time 2017
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 105

The important bit I found was I get NXDOMAIN - which means the lookup was not found.  Which matches the error message given by the plusnet server

You need to contact Plusnet - because from what I can see it looks as if the email address has been deleted by them.

Ravenstar68

grahamp1
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I also suspect that Plusnet have deleted mu Plusnet email despite promising me they wouldn't.

I'll get hold of them and ask.

Thanks

0 Kudos
grahamp1
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

You are correct. Despite having the transcript of the online chat with Pnet which clearly stated they would:

a. let me keep my Pnet email and

b.free of charge

Having been volleyed around Pnet Customer Services for 20 minutes, they confirmed they had inadvertently deleted the email account, apologised and reinstated it.

Thanks - given you the credit for it.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Glad to see you've got it sorted.

Did they advise whether you'd have to pay to keep it active when they reinstated it?

Ravenstar68

0 Kudos
grahamp1
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

They confirmed they were continuing my email service free. Having been with them 14 years, I suspect it may be a ploy to lure me back some time in the future. Not going to happen !

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

grahamp1 wrote:

Based on my readings, I'd be very surprised if they let you have it for free indefinitely - Reading up as late as March 2016 - This reply on the Plusnet site to someone who was leaving.

https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/Retaining-Plusnet-email-address/td-p/1307761

I'm sorry to hear you're thinking of leaving. If you do decide to leave and want to keep your email with us, you'll need to give our Customer Options Team a call on 0800 013 2632 (Selecting the option for thinking of leaving) and request that your account is downgraded to a mail only account for £20.28 a year when the services leave, instead of a full account closure.

Which is £1.69 per month.

To avoid further issues in the future I would double check and set up a payment plan with them, otherwise you could well end up in a similar situation the next billing cycle.

Ravenstar68

0 Kudos