Menu
tracey001
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Keeping my emails using a POP setting

My email address is an old blueyonder email account which expires next week as I've left Virgin media.  However, I want to keep my emails and download them to my laptop but can't find out how to do this as the help page on the virgin media website isn't working (I'm assuming its not been updated as blue yonder accounts are so old now).

I have a Mac and want to download the emails into Outlook 2010, version 14.7.1.  I'd be so grateful if someone could advise me on what setting to use or direct me to a page I can follow.

Many thanks for reading.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Keeping my emails using a POP setting

You can find the settings required here: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Virgin-Media-Email-settings/td-p/3166396/jump-to/first-unr...
tracey001
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Graham,

thank you so much for your reply.  I'd had a look at this page, but couldn't quite follow it and understand what it is I have to do.

I can follow the instructions as far as changing the port to 995, but am not sure about how to change the POP3 authentication. Do I need to tick the ‘Always use secure password’ box to comply with this? Also, how do I disable the POP3 SPA? I can’t see a box to tick for this either?

At the moment I have the three boxes ticked for ‘Override default port’, ‘Use SSL to connect’ and ‘Always use secure password’, but nothing is downloading.

Fingers crossed that you can advise me further.

Many thanks

Tracey

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

tracey001 wrote:

Hi Graham,

thank you so much for your reply.  I'd had a look at this page, but couldn't quite follow it and understand what it is I have to do.

I can follow the instructions as far as changing the port to 995, but am not sure about how to change the POP3 authentication. Do I need to tick the ‘Always use secure password’ box to comply with this? Also, how do I disable the POP3 SPA? I can’t see a box to tick for this either?

At the moment I have the three boxes ticked for ‘Override default port’, ‘Use SSL to connect’ and ‘Always use secure password’, but nothing is downloading.

Fingers crossed that you can advise me further.

Many thanks

Tracey

I haven't set this up on a Mac for years, however you certainly need to untick the box for 'Always use secure password'.  You do need to have use SSL selected.  Override default port - depends on whether the port showing is 995 for pop and 465 for smtp or not.  Choose whichever option maintains these settings