Menu
camdenham
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Keeping Blueyonder & leaving Virgin....forget it !!!!

Thank you to lubylou's question, which the system does not appear to allow me to reply to, but I too am desperate to leave Virgin and the only thing keeping me here is Blueyonder, and the history, familiarity, and continuity it provides, but I simply can't afford to stay with Virgin (and we have been together for over almost  a quarter of a century...but the best deals are always offered to complete strangers, which makes a Silver Jubilee Customer the lowest-of-the-low in their eyes.....I have the highest bills of anybody I know.....but enuff about me...).

Changes get even more difficult as you get older, and the nice thing about Blueyonder was that it didn't permit endless rubbish from arriving in your mailbox, and was simple enough to use, which is probably why I didn't  have the guts to leave years ago, but I can no longer justify spending twice what my neighbours do for internet/phone packages, and am having to familiarise myself with the irritating email formats used by the "free-for-alls" like yahoe and hotmale (sic) and before I collect my Freedom Pass I will have to get used to this sort of things before the inevitable senile dementia kicks in, which would be the only logical reason anybody stays with Virgin, and my new provider has everything except an email address (that would end with the words royalmail) but for everybody who can still (with a great deal of effort) get used to these things, LEAVE, Virgin don't place the slightest value on the fact that you have been with them for longer than the average age of the people who work at their call centres................

......so go on just go,  walk out the door, don't turn around now, coz they don't love you anymore......

0 Kudos
camdenham
Joining in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Keeping Blueyonder & leaving Virgin....forget it !!!!

.....But thanks for the tipp-off.....I thought I would be excluded from my Email account the moment I switched, so a great big thank you to the responder who said I would get 90 days access AFTER I left, I  thought I had to save that info BEFORE I left, so I can disconnect tomorrow.....Hallelujah, Praise the Lord, let's all Speak in Tongues.......

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

advantages of gmail over blueyonder

1. it is much faster to type

2. you don't have to tediously spell it out when giving your email address over the phone - yes that's blueyonder all one word  blue as in blue y o n d e r ...

3. Gmail is very good at removing spam before you even see it. it does a much better job of protecting you from phishing and from spam than blueyonder now does

downsides - google do "read" everthign you send/receive via gmail,  but just to look for advertising keywords. So send a few emails mentioning slippers & expect targeted ads offering you new ones. I can live with that.

Yes it's a pain to have to learn new ways of doing old tasks, but gmail is quite learnable. My wife is able to use it ! 

my tip would be: don't try to wrap your brain around when/ how gmail keeps copies and when "delete" really means delete forever, everywhere. when you are done reading something , click the "archive" button and never touch "delete". Let gmail manage everytign for you, it will keep the place tidy and you will never run out of space. If a specific  email is truly important - print it !

0 Kudos
FirstCirrus
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hello Candemham (sorry is I got your name wrong). Have you ever told VM you intend to leave? I have twice got a better deal from them (relatively speaking). I only stay with VM cos I will not be sucked into having a landline (especially as I would never use it). I have a pay as you go phone which suits me fine.Landlines have become the darling the of Broadband companies and they will willing give you cheap broadlband with email if they can nail you for £18 a month for a phone line. Landlines will get more and more expensive I predict and I can only suppose that BT (no longer British btw) will still want all the charges up front per quarter !

If you find a really good deal please post it. I'd be interested so long as it  did not involve a landline.

All the best Cirrus

0 Kudos
FirstCirrus
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Yep. Its just that I object to companies wishing to take over the world (like google) - it will have a sting in the end. Especially as Google was invited to the

Bilderberger conference this year . That set warning bells off with me. It's bad enough that the EC top agenda was to create a European dictatorship.

Anyone know  of another company like VM that does not insists on a landline?

0 Kudos