Check your service statusCable National
Searching for something?
Bright Spark
Tim-Ann
Helpful Answer

Keep getting messages I.ve sent coming back to my inbox

Hi there,

I've just upgraded my blueyonder accounts in Outlook 2007 as per the new settings and here is the problem when I send an Email I then get the sent E-mail being sent but also appearing in my Inbox  next time I do a send & receive.

What is going on why oh why do you keep anoying your customer with changes can't you just get it right once and for all?

I have changed my pop4 & smtp to virginmedia.com from blueyonder.co.uk and on outgoing server I have added my E-mail address with recent: in front of the (E-mail) adress is this the problem.

Or is it someother problem that we don't know about yet.?

Tim.

Please use plain text.
Bright Spark
Tim-Ann

Re: Keep getting messages I.ve sent coming back to my inbox

HI there,

Could this be that I'm using recent: in front of my E-Mail address as I have been in order to get my mail on my othere machines?

Tim.

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
Chris54

hi Tim - I am getting this problem too.  Very annoying.  Am watching for any solutions.

Regards

Chris

Please use plain text.
Bright Spark
Tim-Ann

Hi there,

Well I've been trying and messing around but still no joy.

All I can say is what a mess Virgin yet again.

Let me know if you come up with a working solution.

Tim.

Please use plain text.
The Troubleshooter
Eric_T

[ Edited ]

Tim-Ann wrote:

HI there,

Could this be that I'm using recent: in front of my E-Mail address as I have been in order to get my mail on my othere machines?

Tim.

Yes. it is a super new feature you never wanted. At the moment it will only happen if you use smtp.viginmedia.com to send emails, but it is coming to the rest of us in due course.

The Google system is designed primarily for web users. Web users want a sent mail folder. So when you send a mail from the Google smtp servers, it copies the mail across to your mail store.

The Google system does not really have folders. All the mails are in one pot. The Sent Folder you see on the web is really just a search for all emails with you as the sender. So, if someone sends you a spam email that pretends to come from you, it appears in your webmail Sent Mail folder. Very confusing.

Now, they realised that you don't want such sent mails returned through the pop connection, so they introduced a kludge that makes the system think it has already been downloaded. But the system of not downloading things that have been downloaded stops you getting mail on other machines. So they introduced another kludge, the recent mode, that turns it back into a fairly normal pop3 system.

The two kludges are incompatible with each other. Once you turn on the recent mode, you get your sent mails returned back to you in your pop connection.

I have some rules further kludges installed on Outlook 2007 to overcome this to some extent. I can detect whether the mail was sent from the webmail interface, or through SMTP from another device through the viginmedia smtp server, and then put them in my local sent mail folder. I add a category to them so I know how they got there.

So, if anyone is interested in some Outlook 2007 fixes, I'll document it. (I can check it in some older versions as well.) I've looked at Outlook Express and Thunderbird and I don't think I can access enough detail about the email to do it in either of them.

Some phones have specific features for gmail connections to cope with it, but how such things work with the connection through VM I have no idea.

It is less of a problem with IMAP, because it does put these emails into a local Sent folder.  

For Google's take on this issue see My 'Sent Mail' is downloaded to my POP inbox

Eric 

Please use plain text.
Bright Spark
Tim-Ann

Hi there,

Not sure if this is normal but I've removed recent from everything and then sent an E-mail to a non virgin mail address and did not get the same message in my inbox.

So perhaps this upgrade rids us of using the recent: tag virgin would be good to hear from you re this?

Tim

Please use plain text.
Bright Spark
Tim-Ann

Hi there,

I was wrong even with recent: removed I still got the message sent back to my Inbox.

Any solutions I would love to try?

Tim.

Please use plain text.
Bright Spark
Tim-Ann

Hi there,

VM do we have at least a response as to why this is still happening, everytime I send a message it then comes back to me via my Inbox, it seems to have been sent?

Many thanks, Tim.

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
RobH

Hi I am also getting the same problem with emails I have Sent Coming back to my inbox -  I would also like to know what the offical line is on the problem and the Offical Fix for it?

Thanks

Rob

Please use plain text.
Virgin Media Staff
danbayliss

Its a feature of the Google Apps platform. If you don't want to receive this you will need to setup a filter in your client or webmail to delete them.

Dan Bayliss
Virgin Media
Please use plain text.