Menu
polly43
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Javascript? For Virgin Webmail?

I have just tried several times, unsuccessfully, to sign into my Virgin Web Mail.  Talk about it never rains but it pours!  Whatever next?  I now find, because I don't have, nor have I had for a very long time, Javascript enabled, (or Flash for that matter,) because Mozilla Firefox doesn't  allow them on account of neither being safe-security-wise, I can no longer log into my Virgin Webmail with my preferred browser!  What's going on?  This never used to be a requirement!  When I clicked on the link 'How to enable Javascript'  there was another message saying this would not be possible!  I know, because Firefox blocks Javascript!  It is full of security holes that's why!  Now what?  I do have Internet Explorer for the odd occasion when I need Flash but Javascript is very old now surely?  I'd rather keep my PC safe.  I can't believe Virgin is going backwards like this! 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Javascript? For Virgin Webmail?

Hi polly43,

Thanks for getting in touch. I am sorry to see you have been having trouble logging into your webmail. 

So we can get to the bottom of this please advise of the following:

• Are the browser versions you are using up to date? 
  • What operating system are you using, is it up to date? 
  • Client mail maybe an option if  you are still getting errors.
  • Does this happen on other devices?

Keep us posted. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
polly43
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for getting in touch Emma, but it was a couple of weeks ago.  I had always managed to sign in with Mozilla Firefox, but for some reason I kept getting a 'Javascript not installed' error message.  Then the next day, it was OK again.  I could log in with Firefox fine.  I think it must have been Virgin (yet again)  (It is still taking forever to log into my webmail!)  I like the features of Firefox and it's security, but I must admit it is a pain that I can't use any websites that still use Flash and Java (surprisingly many, since these have been regarded as unsafe, security-wise for a long time now!)  So whenever I need to access sites that still use these I have to use Internet Explorer. 

Thanks again though. 

Polly

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Why are you disabling Javascript?

While I endorse disabling Flash and Java if need be, although as I have Minecraft on my system I need the latter, Javascript is a different kettle of fish altogether.

The majority of websites use javascript in one form or another.  Note that javascript and java are not the same thing.  Yes there are websites with malicious scripts out there.  But Javascript itself is not inherently unsafe.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/3-ways-javascript-can-used-breach-privacy-security/

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
polly43
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

You're right, but Mozilla Firefox just doesn't allow it on their browser!  So...you have to use IE or some other browser that does when a site needs it.  However, my original query related to Virgin's error message saying that Flash and Java needed to be installed before I could access their web mail!  It must have been just one of Virgin's many anomalies, because it no longer happens.  It's just a mighty long wait before it decides to let you log in!

0 Kudos