Menu
linofreire
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Issues Delivering to Virginmedia Network

Hi all,

My name is Lino and I word at Dotmailer, an ESP in London, as Deliverability Consultant.

I know there are similar posts about this issue, but I wanted to create this specific one as I wanted to see the possibilities of white-listing IP with you.

We've tried already contacting the postmaster during the last two months but we were not successful on that.

The issue we've been having is some of our clients are having issues delivering to virgimedia network. Below is copy of

Hi Postmaster,

This is Lino, Deliverability Consultant at Dotmailer and I am contacting you to help us understand and solve issues we are having in delivering emails to Virgin Network.

We have a client which during the last 30 days, sent around 50,579 Messages sent to the following domains: I've noticed that (5,082 messages) 10% failed to be delivered which we can break down like this:

ntlworld.com (1295) - 25% - Virgin Network

virginmedia.com (1091) - 21% - Virgen Network

blueyonder.co.uk (883) - 17% - Virgen Network

virgin.net (565) - 11% - - Virgen Network

These are the DSN MESSAGES we’ve been receiving:

Term                                                                  Count   

5.2.0 (unknown mailbox-related status)    3585     

5.1.0 (unknown address-related status)    1238     

5.1.1 (bad destination mailbox address)    249       

Most the of failure returned has the following error : (smtp;554 5.2.0 L5FN1t0041LnicE015FP9o Spam content found)

After doing some research on this, I found that most of this are related to Virgin Network and, apparently, its an issue o n their side.

There's even a thread on their forum regarding other user having the same issue: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Emails-to-ntlworld-com-rejected-with-quot-Spam-Content-Fou...

During my investigation, I couldn't find any issue on our side and indications of a problem with the IP pool from which they are sending from.

At this time we are unaware of why this is happening and would like to help our client solve the issue:

This client has been advised on best practices for bulk email senders using the M3AAWG BCP for Senders as a framework. 

They are made aware that continued abuse complaints can and will result in the suspension or termination of their Dotmailer user account.

We utilise a 3rd party tool provided by www.250ok.com to monitor our client’s sending domains. 

The IP they’ve been sending from: xx.xxx.xxx.xx   xx.xxx.xxx.xx

Sender domain: e-cosyfeet.com

These are not a dedicated IP address, wich can vary but if you could help understand what could be improved  the client side, that would be much appreciated.

Recently we've seen this error:

smtp;550 mx2.mnd.ukmail.iss.as9143.net bizsmtp Connection rejected. Your IP xx.xxx.xxx.xxx is in RBL. Please see https://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?

Knowing that the IP are removing automatically from SpamCop, I wonder if there's a whitelisting program at virginmedia to overcome this.

We can provide all the information about our company to show that we are good ESP and we dokn't tolerate spammers.

Thanks,

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post]

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
linofreire
On our wavelength
Message 34 of 36
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Issues Delivering to Virginmedia Network

Hi,

Yes, we're still facing the issue.

Basically, this is my reply and the information I sent to the Postmaster: I will share some part here so we can see the type of error we've been receiving.

I have checked the logs from this sender domain (e-cosyfeet.com) during last 14 days and there was 7,044 message failed and most of them happened on Virginmedia Network and the DSN error we received on most of them are as follow:

dsnDiag   smtp;554 5.2.0 2BXW1u00i3DRBzS01BXX8L Spam content found
dsnMta   mx.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net (212.54.56.11)
dsnStatus   5.2.0 (unknown mailbox-related status)
host   eu1dme-pmta03p,eu,dm,p

domain   virginmedia.com
dsnAction   failed
dsnDiag   smtp;554 5.2.0 2BY81u01N3DRBzS01BY93U Spam content found
dsnMta   mx.mnd.ukmail.iss.as9143.net (212.54.58.11)
dsnStatus   5.2.0 (unknown mailbox-related status)
host   eu1dme-pmta02p,eu,dm,p
msgtype   b
orig   bo-2tgd-c1om-2nfvmu-c04ex@e-cosyfeet.com

dlvType   smtp
domain   blueyonder.co.uk
dsnAction   failed
dsnDiag   smtp;554 5.2.0 2BXm1u00s3DRBzS01BXnrx Spam content found
dsnMta   mx.mnd.ukmail.iss.as9143.net (212.54.58.11)
dsnStatus

Add filter to match this value

Add filter to NOT match this value
5.2.0 (unknown mailbox-related status)
host   eu1dme-pmta02p,eu,dm,p
msgtype   b
orig   bo-2tgd-c1om-1mr1l5-c04ex@e-cosyfeet.com
origDomain   e-cosyfeet.com
pmtaServer   eu1dme-pmta02p
queue   ntlworld.out/105-149
queueDurationMin   1585
rcpt   #######@blueyonder.co.uk

Can you please provide more details as to why all emails coming from that sender have been considered spammy?

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos

All Replies
linofreire
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Hi guys,

Anyone can help on this one, please?

Any input is much appreciated.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Bumping puts you to the back of the queue. VM Forum staff get round to posts in date order. You've just gone to the back of the line. They are taking just under 2 weeks to respond. But the issue is well known. Have a look at this in the meantime:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-Spam-Content-Found-error-550-554/td-p/3229831

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
linofreire
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Hi 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 36
Flag for a moderator

That's the kind of reply I like. The order of dealing with posts on the Forum is known to the Forum staff and the Superusers but we tell people when they ask to stop repeated bumping.

The issue with the error message is down to VM entirely. Their mail servers are part of a wider Liberty Global project for a a standard web mail service for all LG affiliates.Their MXs are based in the Netherlands (work it out for yourself). The spam filtering is capricious. We re promised improvements but nothing materialises. They'll hate me for saying this but I cannot hide the truth. I'm attaching below my version of "the advice".  That will give you the full picture. And you should speak with your customers about what they need to do with their clients to alleviate the position.

ADVICE

Advice for senders and Virgin Media customers

554 – 554 5.2.0 – “Spam content found” error message.

This advice tries to cover all bases when this error message is seen.

Action to take is in in italic face type. All Virgin Media domains – ntlword.com; blueyonder.co.uk, virgin.net; virginmedia.com are affected by this error as they all operate within the one e-mail system.

Background

This error message from the Virgin Media incoming or outgoing mail servers shows , in my view, a systemic and  persistent problem with the spam filters. Virgin Media have been aware of it for many months after the 2015 migration to their current e-mail platform. Only Virgin Media can provide a permanent solution. Some alleviation is also possible.

The spam filters are too sensitive and inconsistent in operation. They do not properly discriminate between legitimate e-mail from reputable senders which gets rejected, and spam which gets through.

All kinds of mail senders are affected. This includes bulk mailers,  businesses sending out order confirmations and other transactional e-mails, schools, voluntary societies, the NHS  and individual Virgin Media customers.

The company mostly attributes this error to badly configured mail servers or which do not meet Virgin Media’s exacting requirements for server set up.  We have seen a recent example of a properly set up server, signing e-mail correctly which has experienced this issue. So this cannot be a satisfactory explanation of the problem. Other e-mail providers have systems which do not behave this way. They successfully balance the expectation that legitimate e-mail will be delivered while minimising spam or ensuring that it is consistently delivered to a spam/junk folder. The Virgin Media system should but does not achieve any of this.

Virgin Media customers who experience this error when they send run-of-the mill  mail clearly cannot be at fault. They have no control over how Virgin Media’s mail servers are configured.

This advice is designed to help senders and Virgin Media customers to manage the issue.  Not all of it will apply in your case so you need to read it carefully and take what you need.

If you are responsible for sending out regular e-mails for a club or society using a straightforward mailing list do not be concerned by the technical nature of some of this advice, about e-mail server set-up. Just act in accordance with the practical advice given. That will be fine.

Advice for external senders

Reputable senders of e-mail to Virgin Media domains cannot be confident that their mail will be delivered.  It may be marked as spam and depending on how recipients have set their spam settings, rejected. The recipient will never know.

Virgin Media wish to handle such instances on a case-by-case basis. You will be asked by the Forum Team to provide  a full copy of the 550 error message and full unedited copy of one of the bounced e-mail headers via the private message system. Keep watching your thread for the request. The header will be looked at by VM’s postmaster team.

Virgin Media Forum team staff will then advise what configuration changes , if any, you should consider making  to your e-mail sending system to solve this issue in your case.  

Both parts of this process may take some time, given the number of posts and the load on the postmaster’s team.

The changes you may asked to make include making sure your SPF, rDNS and mail signing protocols (DMARC and DKIM) are set up correctly. It may also involve changing your e-mail signatures. You may be asked to remove or convert to plain text any with URLs that do not point back to the originating domain. You may be asked to check that any URLs in the title or the body of the text do not refer to sites that are associated with sending spam (blacklists may need to be checked – MX toolbox is a useful tool here) and take remedial action.  Blacklists should also be checked to ensure that the sending server’s IP is not included on them.

VM seem to be aiming for definitive remedy for individual senders, rather than so-called “whitelisting”.

Senders might feel that they should inform their customers of the risk that their mail will not be delivered to Virgin Media e-mail addresses. Customers could be advised to follow the guidance below; particularly the guidance on spam settings. You can base your advice on what I have written here, as long as you do not further embellish it.

Advice for customers

Individual customers who get the 550 error on their outgoing mail should follow the advice above. This will largely involve providing the error message and a full copy of the header from one of the-mails that is bounced. This is so Virgin Media can see what is happening when their servers reject run-of-the-mill e-mail.

Virgin Media customers who want to stop the majority of erroneous rejections of incoming e-mail by the spam filters must follow the proven advice here:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Ravenstar-s-Email-FAQ-s/m-p/3026118#M129705

The mail will end up in the web mail spam folder.  This is not ideal but at least the mail gets through. I made this change immediately at migration to the present system because I was not happy with the Virgin Media default settings which were to reject all spam. It has proved to be the right decision. I have pushed for Virgin Media to adopt the advice as the default spam setting. They have indicated this is under consideration. How long this simple measure will take them is anybody’s guess.

Customers using POP to collect their mail through an e-mail client will need to visit their web mail regularly to check their spam folder and move mail erroneously marked as spam (click the e-mail to select it and click on the “not spam icon”) to their  web mail inbox folder so that their client can download it.  This is what I do.

Customers using IMAP will be able to see their web mail spam folder in their mail client. They will be able to sort their mail without visiting their web mail account. The act of moving mail from the main from the spam folder to the inbox will automatically mark it as “not spam”. It will also help to train the infant spam filters and help them to be more discriminating – according to Virgin Media.

If you know the e-mail address of a particular sender then add that address to your web mail contacts. This will mark the sender as a safe sender. Their mail will end up in your web mail inbox and then in your e-mail client  where it belongs.

Virgin Media e-mail users may feel that they should move all or part of their e-mail to a third party non-ISP linked mail provider to avoid this and other issues. That is a decision only they can make. It is widely accepted as the right thing to do and not just because of this issue. I increasingly use my third party web mail provider as my main e-mail address to ensure resilience of my e-mail transactions.

Disclaimer

Superusers are generally not Virgin Media staff. Virgin Media do not approve or endorse my advice. This advice is given on the basis that I accept no personal liability (explicit or implied) as to its accuracy or safety.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
linofreire
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Hi

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 36
Flag for a moderator

I wish I'd come across this post before. Smiley Sad

You've actually got two issues going on.

1. Spam content found.
2. 550 5.1.0 Dynamic/Generic hostnames are blocked. Please contact your  Email Provider. Your IP was xx.xx.xx.xx. Your hostname was <hostname>

In the case of 1 I think it's best we leave that to the @ForumTeam

However in the case of 2.  Have you double checked the server IP's of the outgoing servers delivering those mails?

My thread here gives some background behind this http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Ravenstar-s-Email-FAQ-s/m-p/3157506/highlight/true#M129655

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

linofreire
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Hi 

Do you have a fix around this you could advise? For situations of clients on shared IP pool, how can we overcome this rigid restriction?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 36
Flag for a moderator

I'm going to assume from the SPF record for the domain you posted in the first post that you work for dotmailer.com

In case you want to know why I said this.

Default Server:  cache1.service.virginmedia.net
Address:  194.168.4.100

> set type=txt
> e-cosyfeet.com
Server:  cache1.service.virginmedia.net

Non-authoritative answer:
e-cosyfeet.com  text =

"v=spf1 include:spf.dotmailer.com -all"

If you wouldn't mind PM'ing me the IP address so I can view the PTR record.

Howvever before you do this, be aware that the Superusers such as myself don't work for Virgin Media.  We've been given the title because of how helpful we are.  I do take any information shared with me in strictest confidence however.

Without seeing the IP address I'll give you the best answer I can in the meantime.

The quote on the Virgin Spam content found link is incorrect.  And I've taken issue with it in the past.

What matters is the outgoing banner in the servers EHLO line is the mail servers FQDN and that the the PTR record for the servers IP address resolves to the same FQDN.

For example consider this received line from Virgin Media's outbound server to Google.  This was from my blueyonder address.

Received: from know-smtprelay-omc-9.server.virginmedia.net (know-smtprelay-omc-9.server.virginmedia.net. [80.0.253.73])
        by mx.google.com with ESMTP id p2si2430205wma.0.2016.10.21.00.37.39
        for <My Address>;

The first thing to note is that none of Virgin's email domains end in virginmedia.net - nor do they have to.

The FQDN for the server - which is also announced in the greeting is know-smtprelay-omc-9.server.virginmedia.net 

If we plug the IP address of the server into nslookup

> set type=ptr
> 80.0.253.73
Server:  cache1.service.virginmedia.net

Non-authoritative answer:
73.253.0.80.in-addr.arpa        name = know-smtprelay-omc-9.server.virginmedia.net
>

It resolved back to the FQDN of the server.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 36
Flag for a moderator

And just how was I expected to spot this one! seriously TG for @ravenstar68

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos