Menu
zardozbighead
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Is somebody trying to DDOS attack virgin's smtp server?

I'm recently randomly getting bad password response from Thunderbird and enabling logging shows

SMTP Response: 525 5.7.0 Authentication Denied (VM321)

I noted that other people have had the same problem with that response there have been too many bad login attempts.

As I'm not trying login with a bad password, so somebody else must be trying and not getting the password right

(my password is about as secure as virginmedia will let it be as they only allow up to 10 numbers or letters)
I don't think changing my password will help as whoever is trying this is not getting it right.
All my settings are as per to documentation for virgin media's smtp.

I'm not sure what I can do other than stop using virginmedia for email.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Is somebody trying to DDOS attack virgin's smtp server?

Not DDOS. Attempts to break into individual accounts. Probably spammers trying hard to get into your e-mail account with multiple attempts at guessing your password and failing. Unfortunately it locks you out for a period. That is the VM 321 error.

But if you have more than one device on which you collect and manage e-mail it could be one of those devices which is sending "bad" authentication details to the VM server.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
zardozbighead
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Yeah it could be spammer, but it seems that virgin is a common target and while they are after a smtp server to send spam from they are deigning service to virgimendia's customers.

I wish that virgin would were more intelligent in their attempts to block this type of thing, it's common to do an IP based block for this type of thing instead of locking the whole account.

I also wish that virginmedia would allow stronger passwords.

Given that IMAP and webmail are not affected by this, the collection side seems to be OK and yes I do have 1 more device that collects emails, it is not sending emails via smtp and is still also collecting email fine via IMAP without any problems.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
jamesofmerton
Rising star
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

we have never used virgins email in 9 years.....for a reason

0 Kudos