Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Emerging Talent
peteh2

Is push email ever likely for Virgin/Blueyonder email ?

Hi,

I'm using an Android phone for my Blueyonder and Gmail email accounts. With Gmail I get full push email whereas for the Blueyonder account I have to manually poll the it, or set the phone to regularly check. I've got my Blueyonder account to forward to Gmail which is a workaround.

As Virgins email runs on the Gmail platform, I'm supposing the push feature is just not enabled yet. Can anyone at Virgin (or anyone else) tell me if this feature is likely to be enabled in the near future ? As more and more people run email on their phones, this feature is only going to continue to be increasingly requested.

Regards

Pete H

Please use plain text.
Gandalf
Ray_M

Re: Is push email ever likely for Virgin/Blueyonder email ?

Hi Pete,

Is this feature enabled in Gmail by default or is there a setting for it? I don't have a Gmail account so can't check and just want to be sure before I escalate the issue to the relevant department. Do you have the same set up for both accounts on your phone? I appreciate the login details and server names will be different but are you using POP for both accounts and have any additional settings been replicated on both accounts?

Regards,

Ray Miranda
Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as a Helpful Answer? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question. Please don't send private messages directly to the forum team unless they ask you to, post your issue to the forum first.

Got a problem? Check for faults online with our new service status and fault checker

Please use plain text.
Superuser
BenMcr

At present Virgin Media Mail supports POP and IMAP only

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Please use plain text.
Omniscient
slated

Thanks BenMcr, I guess the OP knew that :smileywink:

But what is in the pipeline?

Superuser
BenMcr

[ Edited ]

slated wrote:

But what is in the pipeline?

Answer to that is the usual one - that services are continually reviewed and extra features introduced where appropriate

Nothing has been announced about extending the e-mail services at present.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Please use plain text.
Omniscient
slated

Do you work for the Civil Service? :smileywink:

Straight out of the Book of Mandarin.

But of course, I understand.

Emerging Talent
peteh2

Hi - Sorry for my delay in responding. Regarding the question from Ray_M about whether the push feature is enabled in Gmail by default. Yes, it does seem to be. I'm not certain which protocol is being used for Gmail as you don't need to enter any server names or protocols or anything other than your gmail username and password in order to set it up and make it work. You have the option to sync in the background and thats it. It just works.

With my Blueyonder account I'm actually using IMAP. You have the option to set checking intervals but thats not really the same as push email. I understand that there is actually a Push IMAP protocol as well.

As I mentioned before, I don't think this question will go away, and in fact will become more prevalent as more people use smartphones so it would be helpful to have some clue as to the progress Virgin are making with this.

Thanks

Pete H

Please use plain text.
Expert Opinionator
John_Hag

Hi Pete H,

As BenMcr says, there have been no plans announced as yet.

Regards,
John Haggerty
Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as a Helpful Answer? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords. Got a problem? Check for faults online with our new service status and fault checker

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question. Please don't send private messages directly to the forum team unless they ask you to, post your issue to the forum first.
Please use plain text.
Brainbox
stjamespark

One solution is to tell your blueyonder account to forward all mail to a gmail account and view that account via the gmail settings on your android

Jim S

Please use plain text.
Emerging Talent
Patfeesh

BUMP

Two years ago this was raised, I dont want all the calendar/contacts etc sync, JUST THE PUSH EMAIL.(For android, i realise it works on iPhone)

Come on Virgin, it cant be that hard.

I shall start a new topic on this subject also.

Please use plain text.