Menu
wantila
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Increase send limit

Hi

I run a Soup Kitchen and occasionally need to send about 140 emails at once. Anyone know if I can get my outgoing send limit increased.

Many thanks. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Increase send limit

Virgin Media don't alter sending limits by request.  The limits are higher when using webmail than via an email client.  You may be better served using one of the bulk mailing services out there, such as Mail Chimp.

cybmole
Community elder
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

seriously - just get a gmail account instead of , or as well as the VM one

the only stuff that still goes to/from  my blueyonder primary account is updates from this forum and a couple of shops I've not got around to updating. 

everything else is on gmail, same with my wife's blueyonder account

the last straw for us was VM email servers managing to not deliver things we'd simply forwarded to each other!

gmail just works, way better than virginmedia/blueyonder/... whatever 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

According to the Gmail support pages their sending limits are the same as VM use. 100 recipients per day using an email client and 500 via webmail.
cybmole
Community elder
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Graham_A wrote:
According to the Gmail support pages their sending limits are the same as VM use. 100 recipients per day using an email client and 500 via webmail.

ok, but when gmail set a limit they don't then give you a hard time for sending to less than that.. and their spam filters are way way better.

we have  many forum reports of " too many recipients" from folks using virgin mail who swear they were way under the limit

FYI yahoo have a more generous rule of only 100 per hour, not per day, according to this:

http://www.emailaddressmanager.com/tips/email-address-limit.html

it also interprets the Gmail limit differently, as 100 per message, not per day, from an email client

• Google Gmail Email Send Rate Limit & Restrictions

The following restrictions apply when sending emails from a Google Gmail account:

Gmail email send limit - no more than 500 recipients per message for the Gmail web interface, or max 100 recipients if you are using an email client software.

Gmail other SMTP limits - outgoing messages sent via Google Gmail can not exceed 10Mb per email (including attachments)

& google themselves suggest this solution for larger lists:

To prevent this from happening in the future, try creating a Google Group of all your email recipients and sending the message to that group's email address.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I don't doubt that different email suppliers have different limits.

As always the user needs to check that the service they sign up to meets their specific needs.

From what I have read on this forum, in most cases where users report the 'too many recipients' message they are either using the older non secure port/ssl settings or sending from away from home in territories with a poor reputation for sourcing 'spam' emails, in which cases I understand VM impose tighter limits to those referred to earlier.

None of this should deflect from the fact that email users are generally better off using a non ISP provided email service, for many reasons, not least of which is portability.  But all services will have limits, and a purely residential service is never likely to be a good one to use for sending hundreds of emails at a time.