Menu
escargo
Tuning in
Message 1 of 50
Flag for a moderator

Incoming emails take far too long to arrive

I have my own domain name through 1&1 and have email forwarding set up so that emails are forwarded to both my Virgin Media email and a separate Outlook.com email account.

I'm finding that I'll get an email on my phone, but it often won't appear in my virgin mailbox for an hour or more - sometimes nearly a day.  Really not ideal when you are sending emails back and forth trying to sort something out.

Comparing the SMTP Received headers it looks like the sticking point is when 1&1's mail server is trying to pass the email onto Virgin's mail servers.  The outlook.com one is getting the email seconds after the previous received time, but not virgin's.

Has anyone else found this?  Who should I be reporting/complaining to?

Waiting hours isn't ideal when you are waiting for a "validate this email address" email....  For example, I'm still waiting for the one to valid my virgin media community account to appear in my virgin mailbox....

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 50
Flag for a moderator

Re: Incoming emails take far too long to arrive

Hi escargo,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the forum, the delayed email problem may be one for our postmaster to investigate, although if you can post the header details, minus any personal information, we'll gladly take a look in the first instance and try and puzzle out what's happening.

Kind Rgds

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
escargo
Tuning in
Message 3 of 50
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I didn't reply to this at the time as by the time I had some decent headers sorted out it had gone away.  It's back again at the moment.

To recap:

• I own [mydomain].co.uk through 1&1 and have it set up to forward emails sent to [myaccount]@[mydomain].co.uk to [myaccount]@blueyonder.co.uk and [myaccount]@outlook.com
  • I have my blueyonder account configured not to filter out spam emails and to leave them in the inbox.  I normally download emails from here via POP3, but I have double checked via the web interface to confirm.
  • Sometimes emails take a long time to arrive at my blueyonder inbox(18+hours) even though they arrive in my outlook.com inbox within seconds.
  • Sometimes the emails don't even arrive in my blueyonder inbox even though they made it to my outlook.com one.
  • There is no obvious pattern in relation to the sender.

Some sanitised headers for an email that was sent yesterday.

Outlook.com:

Received: from mout.kundenserver.de ([217.72.192.73]) by SNT004-MC2F33.hotmail.com over TLS secured channel with Microsoft SMTPSVC(7.5.7601.23143);
	 Wed, 22 Jun 2016 00:16:23 -0700
Received: from [217.72.192.67] ([217.72.192.67]) by mx.kundenserver.de
 (mxeue106) with ESMTP (Nemesis) id 0LfF2e-1biIKD1FZA-00ojaw for
 <[myaccount]@outlook.com>; Wed, 22 Jun 2016 09:16:21 +0200
Received: from relay-14-93.msgfocus.com ([46.236.37.93]) by mx.kundenserver.de
 (mxeue106) with ESMTP (Nemesis) id 0M85cP-1bc5241FNB-00vihj for
 <[myacocunt]@[mydomain].co.uk>; Wed, 22 Jun 2016 09:16:21 +0200
DKIM-Signature: [...]

Blueyonder:

Received: from md25.tb.ukmail.iss.local ([212.54.59.68])
	by mc26.tb.ukmail.iss.local (Dovecot) with LMTP id o6xFBvA0a1ewOgAANFyyEQ
	for <[myaccount]@blueyonder.co.uk>; Thu, 23 Jun 2016 03:01:53 +0200
Received: from mx1.mnd.ukmail.iss.as9143.net ([212.54.59.68])
	by md25.tb.ukmail.iss.local (Dovecot) with LMTP id Su9PENCmsFbSdQAARVaxXw
	; Thu, 23 Jun 2016 03:01:53 +0200
Received: from mout.kundenserver.de ([217.72.192.73])
	by mx1.mnd.ukmail.iss.as9143.net with bizsmtp
	id A11W1t02Z1bUR5V0111Xh3; Thu, 23 Jun 2016 03:01:32 +0200
X-SourceIP: 217.72.192.73
X-CNFS-Analysis: [...]
Received: from [217.72.192.67] ([217.72.192.67]) by mx.kundenserver.de
 (mxeue106) with ESMTP (Nemesis) id 0MK6AH-1bGzq41FeX-001RHf for
 <[myaccount]@blueyonder.co.uk>; Wed, 22 Jun 2016 09:16:21 +0200
Received: from relay-14-93.msgfocus.com ([46.236.37.93]) by mx.kundenserver.de
 (mxeue106) with ESMTP (Nemesis) id 0MPcTB-1bKH6C1FSL-004iXn for
 <[myaccount]@[mydomain].co.uk>; Wed, 22 Jun 2016 09:16:21 +0200
DKIM-Signature: [... but same as outlook.com ...]

I had an email today that took seconds to end up in my outlook.com inbox but 80 minutes to arrive in my blueyonder inbox.  I still have a whole bunch of emails from yesterday that are at outlook.com but haven't so far arrived at blueyonder.  My wife got a reply to a group email yesterday and still doesn't have the original.  While writing this I've had a bunch more that arrived within about 5 minutes.  Still missing a load from yesterday.

Obviously this is really frustrating.  I've lost all faith in my blueyonder emails which is ironic when that is the service I pay for and the working one is free.  My wife uses email (same sort of set-up but to a different blueyonder address) a lot to arrange stuff to do with guiding and our school PTA, so not getting replies to her emails (that were sent within minutes) for hours (if at all) really isn't help.

I can provide some message-ids (and the outlook headers) for the missing ones if wanted.

0 Kudos
escargo
Tuning in
Message 4 of 50
Flag for a moderator

Some more arrived after 48hours
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 50
Flag for a moderator

Hi escargo,

Apologies that this issue has returned. 

We've recently implemented some changes on our email platform to serve as anti-spam guards. One such is that of rate-limiting which does result in delayed mail (when sent from a 'suspicious' IP).

Your Header shows a delay of 63932 seconds due to inclusion on some blacklists. I'll send you a link via PM (purple envelope icon, top right of page) once I've finished this post.

This deliberate grey-listing seeks to deter spammers but the delay time does seem to be exceptional of late and I'll be querying this again with our Postmaster on Monday.

I'll keep you updated Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
escargo
Tuning in
Message 6 of 50
Flag for a moderator

Any update on this. It's happening again with some emails from yesterday morning not arriving until today.

Perhaps the postmaster might want to turn this "feature" off
0 Kudos
Serum67
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 50
Flag for a moderator

Incoming emails delayed for me too.

Received an email from Parentmail today that was sent on Monday!!

I also get a lot of spam emails(most go to the spam box) regdarding 'my hot sexy neighbour'

Whatever you've changed recently please change it back!!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 50
Flag for a moderator

@Jen_A

I've commented on the rate limiting elsewhere.

I'm all for anti spam measures when they're done right.  But when done wrong you cause unnecessary headaches for yourselves, senders and recipients alike.

You've been rate limiting some big name email servers. Gmail (resolved AFAIK), kundeserver.de - which are the mail servers used by 1&1.

Rate limiting may work fine against spam outfits that adopt a fire and forget approach, but rate limiting done against genuine big name email servers, ends up causing the mail to be queued and retried.  Eventually the server may give up resulting in legitimate mail being returned to the sender.  In the meantime traffic to your mail exchangers actually increases because of the rate limiting.

Add to that and I've looked at some spam I've received in my blueyonder inbox yesterday.  Looking at that mail   I'd have to ask - what's up with your content filtering.  The server even tries to claim it's one of your mail exchangers, yet the IP address doesn't add up.  

Based on this thread and others, and the spam I find in my own inbox - I will repeat what I've said before.

Your spam filtering is working backwards!!

You are supposed to block spam and allow legitimate mail through - instead you are blocking legitimate mail and allowing spam through.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

ABrowne
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 50
Flag for a moderator

Recent emails I've received with a delay of around a day or longer between send and receive times, include those from the following legitimate senders:

thepensionsregulator.gov.uk

which.co.uk

national-lottery.co.uk (Frequently happens in recent weeks with acknowledgment of ticket purchases.)

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 50
Flag for a moderator

Worrying - these are reputable senders.

@ForumTeam - to note

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos