Menu
SDC
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Improvement

It's probably tempting fate for me to post this, but I have to report that I'm seeing improvements to VM's webmail...

I've had no spam since Wednesday, and no "bona fide" emails in the spam folder since Thursday. What comes through to my email client is as clean as a whistle.

Furthermore I've had nothing bounced, or at least I've had no notifications of bounces.

I could be wrong, but I don't think that the changes detailed in the "Spam Folder Settings Change" sticky have been applied to my accounts yet, because my options were already set to "deliver spam to spam folder", and I still have hundreds of spam, some dating back to 2010, in the spam folder for the primary account.

A couple of things that I did which I think may have made a difference was to delete all good mail from all of the inboxes and also to delete the residual mixed mail left in the "My folders > Gmail > Important" folders, left there since migration back in 2015. I suspect that buried in the many hundreds of good mails in there, there may have been some spam which may have been confusing the spam filters.

Anyway, it's looking better from here. Still having to do F5 or Crtl+F5 refreshes in webmail now and again to get the thing to load, and occasionally get the blue "OX" banner instead of the standard red "infinity" one, but it's a definite improvement.

FWIW, I'm using Eudora 7.1.0.9 and Firefox 50.0.02 on XP SP3, and I have 7 @ntlworld.com addresses.

There, now you can all rail at me, telling me that I've jinxed it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Less-than-Super User, going from bad to worse since signing up to Diamond Cable and JANET all those years ago.
Use Kudos to show your appreciation, send Hobnobs to really show your appreciation :-)
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved.
I do not work for VM... or for anyone else except SWMBO.
Please note that the tone in which you read this post may not be the same as my tone when I created it.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Improvement

Hi SDC

Not going to rail at you at all.  I was going to post on this myself.  In fact I've already done so in the Superusers Forum.

I don't use blueyonder as my main email address any longer, but I do monitor what get's to my spam folder, and what gets to my inbox.

For me - legitimate senders I've moaned about have been getting put in the inbox correctly for a few weeks now, although seeing some of the posts on this forum does tell me that there are still false positives out there.

I also note that for the last 2 days, all spam mail has been ending up where it belongs.  In my spam folder.

I'm not going to call it fixed just yet, and I still maintain that the best setting to use is to deliver mails deemed to be spam to the spam folder rather than rejecting it outright even when it does appear to work 100%, as I will never completely trust automated filtering.  Virgin Media should never have set the default to reject in the first place.

I also recommend that people continue to train filters by.

1. Marking mail as spam and not spam as appropriate in webmail. or
2. Moving mail to the appropriate folders in an IMAP client.

Would be interested to get other peoples thoughts on this - can anyone else report similar improvements?

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
malsiluk
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

To my great surprise, I would agree that the spam seems to have gone down to quite acceptable levels since about midweek. There are a few in the spam box that shouldn't be, but compared to the last few weeks, when the spam was back to 2015 levels, it is a big improvement.

Now before we all get too excited, lets see if it stays that way for a couple of weeks. Would be interesting to hear from Virgin Media as to why there has been an improvement (if it's not just a mirage!) You would think they would be saying something if they think they have cracked the problem.

To be honest, if Virgin have somehow worked out how to run an email system, I for one will NOT be giving them a pat on the back. Whatever they have done should have been implemented well over a year ago. Makes you wonder if the involvement of politicians has been enough of a kick up the @rse to get them to take the problems of the last 15 months seriously at last.

SDC
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

malsiluk wrote:

Whatever they have done should have been implemented well over a year ago. Makes you wonder if the involvement of politicians has been enough of a kick up the @rse to get them to take the problems of the last 15 months seriously at last.

Well said.

Less-than-Super User, going from bad to worse since signing up to Diamond Cable and JANET all those years ago.
Use Kudos to show your appreciation, send Hobnobs to really show your appreciation :-)
Please note that the tone in which you read this post may not be the same as my tone when I created it.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

malsiluk wrote:

To be honest, if Virgin have somehow worked out how to run an email system, I for one will NOT be giving them a pat on the back. Whatever they have done should have been implemented well over a year ago. Makes you wonder if the involvement of politicians has been enough of a kick up the @rse to get them to take the problems of the last 15 months seriously at last.

While I agree in part with the sentiment, I will say this.

Changes to the spam filters are not likely to simply come about in a week or even two, so whatever has been happening has been an ongoing process.  I still maintain that Virgin should have dealt with the issue of legitimate mails being rejected far sooner.  

The change that could have had the best impact on improper rejections SHOULD have taken place months ago.  This would have meant that the mails got to the users long before now.

@ForumTeam - One of the most outstanding issues, has been the silence on what Virgin has been doing, or planning for the improvements to the e-mail service.  One doesn't expect users to be given a blow by blow account, but I think some thought needs to be given to showing you are addressing user issues seriously.  Saying nothing is NOT a sensible option.

Ravenstar68

0 Kudos
malsiluk
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

ravenstar68 wrote:

@ForumTeam - One of the most outstanding issues, has been the silence on what Virgin has been doing, or planning for the improvements to the e-mail service.  One doesn't expect users to be given a blow by blow account, but I think some thought needs to be given to showing you are addressing user issues seriously.  Saying nothing is NOT a sensible option.

Ravenstar68

You have my full agreement with that view! We would not have loads of threads with people say what they think might be happening, if Virgin learned some customer service skills and kept their paying punters informed of what is going on. A huge apology for the dreadful service of the last 15 months would not come amiss either!

0 Kudos
malsiluk
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Maybe still some fine tuning of the spam filter needed. This one went straight into my inbox. Smiley Surprised

From -   IITunes    Title -  Your Account ID has been bloked .

Dear [email]

Dear Valued Customer ,
We recently detected unusual Αctivity on your ΑppleΙD.
To verify this ΙD belοngs to you, checκ the linκ below,
sign in and then fοllow the instructiοns.
Verify_now >
Why you received this email.
Αpple requests verificatiοn whenever an actiοn is selected in
 the ΙD. Your ΙD cannοt be used until you νerify it.
Αpple_Suppοrt™

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate Hyperlink removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
SDC
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Update:

Since last Wednesday I've had only one spam, which the filters caught, and I've had a mere handful of "bona fide" emails in the webmail spam folder which I have since marked as "not spam". What comes through to my email client continues to be clean. I continue to delete all good mail from all of the webmail inboxes on a daily basis, after ensuring that my email client has grabbed it.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

67 new mails in Spam folder - one of which was a false positive, from Incredimail,

I had about 4 mails in my inbox, only one of which was spam.

Ravenstar68

0 Kudos
malsiluk
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

In a way, I am glad to see this thread had dropped a long way down the batting order. The comments that I made about the spam having stopped, were clearly made too soon!

Just in the last few days, my inbox contains plenty of spam messages - just like the old days. Also, plenty of not-spam messages are to be found in the spam folder. To my biggest surprise, I notice this includes the weekly email from MSE's Money Tips (Martin Lewis) which I believe has many millions of subscribers and could not be considered spam by anybody - other than Virgin Media!

One email I have just found in the INBOX tells me the following "Dear Friend, You are to receive $9,850,000 from my country to your country." Thank goodness that one didn't get mistaken as spam by the VM spam filters, or I would never have known about my forthcoming windfall! Smiley Very Happy

Back to the drawing board Virgin.