Menu
rodentbasket
Dialled in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Imap server also troubled?

I see the sticky post about the current webmail problems. It seems that I can't reply there, so  is it expected that the imap server should also be very slow and sometimes hanging today?

Or should I report this as a separate problem?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Imap server also troubled?

Hi rodentbasket,

I'm not aware of any IMAP issues. Webmail is still unavailable/intermittent/slow sadly but if you are having client difficulties we should look into that for you.

• What client are you using?
  • Is it accessed via a client on a device connected wirelessly or wired?
  • Do other devices display the same problem?
  • Is any other aspect of Internet usage affected?
  • Please provide as much information as you can and I'll see how I can help with this Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
rodentbasket
Dialled in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Jen_A wrote:

Hi rodentbasket,

If you mean what program, then offlineimap, but I doubt that you have heard of that.

Why on earth should that matter? But I was using ethernet.

I did happen to try on another computer, but of course it had exactly the same behaviour? Why should it matter if they are all accessing imap.ntlworld.com on port 993?

No. Except, I expect, Webmail, which I never use.

Anyway, there is no need to look further since the problems cleared around the time that I gather the Webmail was fixed. So clearly something like a database issue rather than the imap or Webmail frontends.

Thank you for trying to help.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

rodentbasket wrote:

Jen_A wrote:

Hi rodentbasket,

If you mean what program, then offlineimap, but I doubt that you have heard of that.

Because this rules out separate issues with wireless.

I did happen to try on another computer, but of course it had exactly the same behaviour? Why should it matter if they are all accessing imap.ntlworld.com on port 993?

Jen's trying to rule out device specific problems.  If it happens on more than 1 device then it makes a server issue more likely to be the cause.

No. Except, I expect, Webmail, which I never use.

Anyway, there is no need to look further since the problems cleared around the time that I gather the Webmail was fixed. So clearly something like a database issue rather than the imap or Webmail frontends.

Thank you for trying to help.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
rodentbasket
Dialled in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

ravenstar68 wrote:

rodentbasket wrote:

Jen_A wrote:

Hi rodentbasket,

Because this rules out separate issues with wireless.

Jen's trying to rule out device specific problems.  If it happens on more than 1 device then it makes a server issue more likely to be the cause

Well, yes, but I asked about the imap server. I hoped it was obvious that I knew a little about computing and networking. I confess to being a bit irritated: I had recently called 150 after a local network problem left my modem unconnected, and the person insisted in going through all these irrelevant questions, even after I explained that they were pointless. I suspect they were reading a moron script and were not allowed to omit anything however silly.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

rodentbasket wrote:

Well, yes, but I asked about the imap server. I hoped it was obvious that I knew a little about computing and networking. I confess to being a bit irritated: I had recently called 150 after a local network problem left my modem unconnected, and the person insisted in going through all these irrelevant questions, even after I explained that they were pointless. I suspect they were reading a moron script and were not allowed to omit anything however silly.

And if you read the first line in Jen's answer

I'm not aware of any IMAP issues. Webmail is still unavailable/intermittent/slow sadly but if you are having client difficulties we should look into that for you.

So if Virgin are not aware of any issues with the IMAP servers themselves, solving your problem also means ruling out any issues closer to home BEFORE they can escalate the matter further.

That means:

1. Ruling out connectivity issues.
2. Ruling out device specific issues.

As both of these issues have different solutions (in fact connectivity issues themselves can be further broken down).

Remember Jen doesn't know you, and more importantly, she doesn't know what you may or may not have ruled out.

There's a saying -removed so unless someone unequivocally states, that the internet is working fine, or that the problem happens on more than one device, it's ALWAYS good practice to ask.

Tim

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate language removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.