Menu
i_nabby68
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

IP address blacklisted!

Hi
I run a small business from home. When we get enquiries I reply via email using my website domain name prefixed with contact@ or payment@ if they make a payment.
It has come to my attention that a large number of my emails sent to customers are going straight to spam/ junk folder. I contacted my website provider who also control my emails and they ran a check on my IP address and said it was blacklisted.
Contacted VM who said that there was not a lot they can do other than I could try turning router off for a number of hours and then back on and see if it reset my IP address but it could not be guaranteed to work.
I have emailed the company who hold my ip adress on there blacklist to see if they will remove it but still waiting for a reply.
Any help would be appreciated.
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: IP address blacklisted!

i_nabby68 wrote:
Hi

It has come to my attention that a large number of my emails sent to customers are going straight to spam/ junk folder. I contacted my website provider who also control my emails and they ran a check on my IP address and said it was blacklisted.

Did they by any chance specify which blacklists?

Not that it matters if you are not running a mail server at your home IP.

Email black-lists tend to be a misunderstood phenomenom.  What matters is NOT THE IP ADDRESS OF THE SENDING EMAIL CLIENT - what is checked when evaluating blacklists is THE IP ADDRESS OF THE SENDING MAIL SERVER.

See my post here for a further explanation - https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Ravenstar-s-Email-FAQ-s/m-p/2420093/highlight/true#M12965...

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

turning off and on even for a few days is unlikely to change the ip address - a short term fix if you have a wifi router is to put the SH/hub into modem mode and add your own router that WILL change the ip address - unfortunately going back to router mode is likely to get back your original ip addy

but that will work until you can get the ip addy un-blacklisted

Tony
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

i_nabby68 wrote:
Hi

Did they by any chance specify which blacklists?

Not that it matters if you are not running a mail server at your home IP.

Email black-lists tend to be a misunderstood phenomenom.  What matters is NOT THE IP ADDRESS OF THE SENDING EMAIL CLIENT - what is checked when evaluating blacklists is THE IP ADDRESS OF THE SENDING MAIL SERVER.

See my post here for a further explanation - https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Ravenstar-s-Email-FAQ-s/m-p/2420093/highlight/true#M12965...

Ravenstar68

i_nabby68
Joining in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Ravenstar68 very informative. I have received an email back from the blacklisting company which mostly I don't understand. Can I forward the email to you? Or post it here to see if you can decipher it for me?
Many Thanks
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

You could post it here if you'd like.  However if you'd rather forward it, drop me a PM and I'll let you have an address you can send it to.

If you post on here - remove any full email addresses.

Ravenstar68

i_nabby68
Joining in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Ravenstar68. I've pm'd you.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@i_nabby68

I'm going to discuss tome aspects if the email here.

First off I note it says you are on the SORBS DUHL - which is normal for residential connections.  Aithough Virgin IP's are very long lived, they are still allocated dynamically.

If you are not running a mail server from home, then you can disregard the further advice given in the letter.  If I read your earlier posts correctly, you don't run a server but instead send through an email service run by your website provider.  Is this correct?

Ravenstar68

0 Kudos
i_nabby68
Joining in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Yes that's correct.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

In that case blacklisting of your home IP is not relevant.

The inbound server for the destination checks the IP address that it is talking to, to see if that is blacklisted.  If the server has a poor reputation then the mail may be rejected outright or marked as spam.  There are other checks done on the mail that might cause it to be classed as spam as well.

Ravenstar68

0 Kudos
i_nabby68
Joining in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for all your help so far.
Could you then suggest as to why some of my emails are ending up in customers spam/junk folders?
0 Kudos