Menu
supernova666666
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

IP Blacklists

I'm a new virgin media broadband customer, it appears that virgin have given me a blacklisted IP address. Is it my responsibility to get this IP removed from blacklist of virgin media?blacklist.PNG  

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: IP Blacklists

Let me start by quoting the front of the Hitchhikers' Guide

DON'T PANIC

At least two of the blacklists in question are Policy Black Lists (PBL).

The blacklists are designed to identify IP addresses that should not be sending mail directly to an email addresses incoming SMTP server.  More information on blacklists can be found here:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Ravenstar-s-Email-FAQ-s/m-p/2420093/highlight/true#M12965...

Spamhaus Zen is the master Zone for Spamhaus, so if you appear on any of the Spamhaus Blocklists, you will also appear there.
Most likely if you query Spamhaus directly you'll  find the following.

94.173.xxx.xxx is not listed in the SBL

94.173.xxx.xxx is listed in the PBL, in the following records:

94.173.xxx.xxx is not listed in the XBL

Being on the PBL is normal.  All addresses allocated by DHCP should be in this zone.

Likewise, the SORBS DUHL is also a PBL - again identifying IP addresses that are allocated by DHCP.

Spam Rats Dyna appears to combine two functions.

Identifying IP addresses that have been seen trying to authenticate with too many invalid users, and also conform to naming conventions which suggest a connection allocated by DHCP

Protected Sky doesn't say a lot apart from stating it rates IP's based on the amount of spam seen from that IP.   According to MXtoolbox should spam levels drop, the IP is automatically delisted.  There is no manual removal process.

All of these lists are designed to stop Spammers sending addresses directly to a mail exchanger.  If you are a normal user submitting email through a server recommended by your email provider, these blacklists will have no impact on you sending email.

Likewise, these lists are not used to stop you connecting to Web sites either.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

You can't be removed from them lists. there Dynamic IP Block lists and will not affect your internet connection. All dynamic IPs are on said lists. 

200Mb(SH2 SH2AC Hub 3.0), 2 X V6 TV XL, Phone M. 100Mb Business (Hitron Hub).
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Read this, and the section on Policy Block Lists. Nothing to be concerned about. Indeed you might feel grateful to have been "blacklisted" as some of the Spam prevention organisations would like all domestic IP addresses to be:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Ravenstar-s-Email-FAQ-s/m-p/2420093/highlight/true#M129651

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Let me start by quoting the front of the Hitchhikers' Guide

DON'T PANIC

At least two of the blacklists in question are Policy Black Lists (PBL).

The blacklists are designed to identify IP addresses that should not be sending mail directly to an email addresses incoming SMTP server.  More information on blacklists can be found here:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Ravenstar-s-Email-FAQ-s/m-p/2420093/highlight/true#M12965...

Spamhaus Zen is the master Zone for Spamhaus, so if you appear on any of the Spamhaus Blocklists, you will also appear there.
Most likely if you query Spamhaus directly you'll  find the following.

94.173.xxx.xxx is not listed in the SBL

94.173.xxx.xxx is listed in the PBL, in the following records:

94.173.xxx.xxx is not listed in the XBL

Being on the PBL is normal.  All addresses allocated by DHCP should be in this zone.

Likewise, the SORBS DUHL is also a PBL - again identifying IP addresses that are allocated by DHCP.

Spam Rats Dyna appears to combine two functions.

Identifying IP addresses that have been seen trying to authenticate with too many invalid users, and also conform to naming conventions which suggest a connection allocated by DHCP

Protected Sky doesn't say a lot apart from stating it rates IP's based on the amount of spam seen from that IP.   According to MXtoolbox should spam levels drop, the IP is automatically delisted.  There is no manual removal process.

All of these lists are designed to stop Spammers sending addresses directly to a mail exchanger.  If you are a normal user submitting email through a server recommended by your email provider, these blacklists will have no impact on you sending email.

Likewise, these lists are not used to stop you connecting to Web sites either.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.