Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 5 (105 Views)

IMAP emails are being removed from server after download?

Hi there

I am using IMAP to access my ntlworld email account from my iMac and MacBook.

I thought this would mean that the emails would remain on the server. Which I want to do.

But since adding the IMAP ntlworld account to my iMac mail yesterday (I was previously accessing it via POP but leaving messages on the server), all my thousands of emails on the server have been deleted.

So strange because IMAP is supposed to leave messages on the server, and I can see no setting in my mac mail (Sierra OS) that allows me to configure this (either to leave or to delete).

This is a bit of a pain as I would like to see old emails via webmail and from my phone, etc - but none are there.... but if I could just get it sorted so that they remain on the server from now on then I can worry about the back history another time.

Spent a long time talking to VM help chat just now and no joy.

Any help MUCH appreciated.

Jane

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 2 of 5 (100 Views)

Re: IMAP emails are being removed from server after download?

Seems to be a common issue with Apple devices.  See this example thread: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/VIRGIN-DELETED-MY-EMAILS/m-p/3121004#M124872

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 3 of 5 (93 Views)

Thank you Graham.

Interesting... and annoying. I feel stuck between the two organisations. I spent ages on the phone to Apple and on iChat to VM and neither of them seemed aware of the problem. I have lost 1000s of emails.

The link you sent to me advises using a gmail mail app instead of apple mail. Would this work for an ntlworld account, does anyone know?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 4 of 5 (81 Views)

pikey wrote:

Thank you Graham.

Interesting... and annoying. I feel stuck between the two organisations. I spent ages on the phone to Apple and on iChat to VM and neither of them seemed aware of the problem. I have lost 1000s of emails.

The link you sent to me advises using a gmail mail app instead of apple mail. Would this work for an ntlworld account, does anyone know?

Yes, it is possible to use the gmail app to access ntlworld email accounts (as well as the other VM domains).  There are other apps out there as well, including the MS Outlook app which I use on my android phone.   There is an iOS version as well.

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 5 of 5 (54 Views)

This was resolved by Ray from Virginmedia in Swansea. He was so helpful. Wanted to explain in case anyone has the same issue.

The emails were being deleted correctly according to IMAP. As I moved them out of my inbox (into local mailbox storage on my Mac) they were deleted on the server. 

Hope this helps anyone with the same question.

0 Kudos