Menu
mmcloverfield
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I need access to a SMTP for my works emails

I have recently been told by my web site provider they are now only supplying an incoming service for my works email address, which means I need to have an outgoing mail server (STMP). Is there any way as a virgin media customer I can use Virgin Media's server.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: I need access to a SMTP for my works emails

My pedantic side wants to point out that although you get it right in the title.  You did get your letters transposed in the post.

How exactly you use Virgin's SMTP servers will depend on how you access your mail.  So more information would be nice.

If you are using a mail client you add the address in question to your mail client.  Then for outgoing mail use the following server.

smtp.virginmedia.com
Port 465
SSL on

Outgoing mail requires Authentication, and the details used to authenticate should be your Virgin Media email address and password.

The email will be sent with your external mail address as the sender, it just uses you Virgin Email address to verify that you have permission to use the server to send mail.

Ravenstar68 

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

My pedantic side wants to point out that although you get it right in the title.  You did get your letters transposed in the post.

How exactly you use Virgin's SMTP servers will depend on how you access your mail.  So more information would be nice.

If you are using a mail client you add the address in question to your mail client.  Then for outgoing mail use the following server.

smtp.virginmedia.com
Port 465
SSL on

Outgoing mail requires Authentication, and the details used to authenticate should be your Virgin Media email address and password.

The email will be sent with your external mail address as the sender, it just uses you Virgin Email address to verify that you have permission to use the server to send mail.

Ravenstar68 

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

mmcloverfield
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi thanks for the quick response, I will be accessing the mail through apple mail on computer/iphone/ipad.

I have not set up an virgin media email address, so can not do this. But will set one up now.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Why? You have one already which you were given when you joined VM. It's the address you use to log-in to My VirginMedia.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
tweetiepooh
Up to speed
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

You could also create a GMail account and use Google's outgoing SMTP, name after the business not you.  (Other providers may be available and if for work it may be better to pay for a service, it shouldn't cost too much.)  Take care with any provider's EULA about business use though.

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got. Jim Elliot

I work for Virgin Media but respond here on an individual basis. No comment or assistance offered is done in any official capacity.
0 Kudos