Menu
mikes2400
Up to speed
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

I have to keep refreshing Virgin mail

For the past few weeks when logging in I have to keep refreshing - sometimes several times - before I am logged in and can use Virgin Mail. Also, sometimnes when using Compose, Forward or Reply I have to refresh several times before they work. What is going on?  Service Status says there are no Broadband problems - but there's clearly something wrong.

0 Kudos
davetherave
Up to speed
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: I have to keep refreshing Virgin mail

Its not only refreshing that has been a problem for the last couple of weeks but also the length of time it actually takes to get to the Inbox!

My favourites keep disappearing as well

Could anybody please tell me why an ISP that harps on about its ultra fast connection speeds has its own E-mail loading at a slower speed than a 1990's dial up? Smiley Mad

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator

We can only go on by what we see on the service status checker and no national or other widespread fault is showing. so there appears to be nothing systemically wrong. We've seen a lot of posts like this but it is not a shared issue. I have little or no trouble with web mail.

We do know that web mail can be temperamental and suddenly start to take a dislike to a browser that that has worked perfectly for along time.

I'd do these things: clear your browser cache and cookies and test again. What you might be seeing is a past failure to connect still in your cache which pops up instead of a fresh page.

Then I'd try another browser and see how that performs. I have two on my PC and the second one has often got me out of trouble and enabled me to check if the first one had failed for some reason.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
mikes2400
Up to speed
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator

I regularly clear cache and cookies - it makes no difference. It is the sort of simplistic solution offered by helplines, which does not do anything to solve the problem. Your advice to change browsers is another old chestnut that does nothing to solve problems.My browser is Firefox and I have no problems with anything else on that browser other than with Virgin Mail.

If you want to play the Virgin game and always deny there can be anything wrong with their email service (which everyone knows has been problematic for a very long time) then it is up to you.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator

I should be more careful with my words. I do not work for VM and can only give the best advice I can with the experience I have. I follow no VM line and for you to imply that I do is reprehensible. You are free to accept that advice or reject it as you see fit. This is the last post I shall make in response to any of yours in future as I see my advice is unwelcome.

You might like to know that this morning I was experiencing the same issue as you. This is the first time I have seen it in the way you describe and if I see it again I will ask for further advice. I don't use VM web mail more than once a day to check spam so it is clearly not the same issue for me as it is for you.

I have nothing further to add.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
bulldog
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator

yes am another person with the same old thing its been like this for many months, if you are lucky to get into your email even by refleshing your browser or cache make no difference what so ever its a matter of pot luck when it works. virgin knows their an problem for a long time but fail to react to it.not every virginmedia is a numpty some have got it skills at some knowledge or other

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi mikes2400,

Apologies for not reaching your post sooner.
We have had some webmail access issues of late though I believe these have since been declared resolved. 

At the moment I'd say that if others are also reporting the same problem we'll have to collate information about what type of browser is used etc. But I'd like to start first with ensuring that your connection is healthy. If no other aspects of your Internet usage are affected then your connection can be discounted as being a potential cause. But I have just run a few tests to make sure and note that your Hub is reporting high upstream power levels.

I've sent you a PM (purple envelope icon, top right of page) so that we can make arrangements for an engineer visit. Please reply when you can and I'll schedule an appointment Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi davetherave,

Sorry that you seem to be affected by the same thing too, though at least your connection is looking healthy so no need for an engineer Smiley Happy

I have a few questions for you if you don't mind:

• Are you only having difficulty with webmail or are other Internet activities also affected?
  • What browsers have you tried and do they all display the same problem?
  • Does this affect more than one device?
  • Does it occur on a device that is connected wirelessly or via Ethernet?
  • What security software do you run?
  • Are other VM email addresses affected?

Sorry if some of those questions seem random, but I need as much information to hand as possible in case this needs to be flagged.

Looking forward to your reply Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi bulldog,

I'll extend the same apologies to you too Smiley Happy

Your connection is testing out fine so I hope you don't mind me repeating the same questions that I asked of davetherave:

• Are you only having difficulty with webmail or are other Internet activities also affected?
  • What browsers have you tried and do they all display the same problem?
  • Does this affect more than one device?
  • Does it occur on a device that is connected wirelessly or via Ethernet?
  • What security software do you run?
  • Are other VM email addresses affected?

It will be interesting to see if the replies I get highlight any points for comparison.

Thanks Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
mikes2400
Up to speed
Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator

It is now 7 months since I first reported this problem, and despite being told several times that it is being investigated it is in fact getting WORSE, not better. In fact there has recently been a big deterioration , so that even Refresh doesn't cure things anything anymore. I feel I've been very patient, but look where that has got me.

Most of the time Compose, Reply and Forward don't work at all, (even after several attempts) so Virgin Mail is all but unusable now. How can it be true that this is being looked into when it is getting worse rather than better? How can Virgin tolerate the situation where its email  service is almost unusable to many of its customers? I am paying for a service that no longer exists.

0 Kudos