Menu
Highlighted
mammouth
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

I don't want emails to open automatically

Does anyone else find everything to do with Virgin Media emailing soooooo complicated?!

I don't want emails to open automatically.  If I can tell that it's from a company that I would prefer to be in spam, I would rather just delete it from the sender list, not have it open up.

In "Settings", I have clicked "Never" against "Automatic opening of notification area", but I don't think that's the right place.

Also, is there any way to block senders (like I can in Hotmail)?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: I don't want emails to open automatically

mammouth wrote:

Does anyone else find everything to do with Virgin Media emailing soooooo complicated?!

Not really. I use the comprehensive help files that VM make available and that solves most issues. The interface has many features in common with all other web mail interfaces

I don't want emails to open automatically.  If I can tell that it's from a company that I would prefer to be in spam, I would rather just delete it from the sender list, not have it open up.

You don't have to have that. The view you see is just that a view to help you decide what to do with the e-mail. But if you'd prefer not to see that select list view. Guidance here:

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

You want "changing the layout".

In "Settings", I have clicked "Never" against "Automatic opening of notification area", but I don't think that's the right place.

No. You can only set up a filter from the Inbox to direct such mail to the trash folder. I use Outlook.com and blocking is not always effective there.  I happily accept that a blocking feature in VM mail would be useful though. Guidance here:

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: I don't want emails to open automatically

mammouth wrote:

Not really. I use the comprehensive help files that VM make available and that solves most issues. The interface has many features in common with all other web mail interfaces

You don't have to have that. The view you see is just that a view to help you decide what to do with the e-mail. But if you'd prefer not to see that select list view. Guidance here:

You want "changing the layout".

No. You can only set up a filter from the Inbox to direct such mail to the trash folder. I use Outlook.com and blocking is not always effective there.  I happily accept that a blocking feature in VM mail would be useful though. Guidance here:

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.