Menu
tomarmstrong399
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I cannot see emails in Sent Objects that have attachments.

Emails sent from my Virgin Media account that include attachments do not seem to be showing in Sent Objects. I understood that this was an issue with certain email applications (I use Apple's Mail) but that viewing in Virgin's webmail facility would allow you to see the sent item (with attachment). This no longer seems to be the case. I would appreciate a workaround as I sometimes like to check such items. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: I cannot see emails in Sent Objects that have attachments.

If you are using an e-mail client to send mail then none of them will ever show up in the web mail "Sent Objects" folder. Sending via a client involves the use of the VM SMTP servers and these out of design do not copy mail into "sent objects".

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Not necessarily true Howard.  Remember IMAP uploads copies of the sent mail to the servers.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I always forget about IMAP because I don't use it. Perhaps @tomarmstrong399 could give us a bit more detail. Using IMAP? We can then advise further. But this does seem odd even if he is using IMAP.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

If you Google - sync sent folder in apple imap -, you will find lots of advice how to do this. The critical factor is of course that the account must be IMAP and not POP.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The question is, do other emails show in the Sent Objects folder when they are sent.

Having tested a send from my iPad and Outlook 2016 on my Windows 10 PC (Both using IMAP), I can confirm Emails with attachments are appearing in my Sent Objects folder.

Which to me is unsurprising, as attachments are not themselves sent separately to the emails, they are actually encoded into the email itself in what some people lovingly refer to as Hieroglyphics but in reality are ASCII characters from a 64 character encoding scheme, most of which are normal letters and numbers.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
tomarmstrong399
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks everyone. I can confirm that I do use IMAP and that other emails sent via my client show up in Sent Objects. I notice there are some with attachments residing in Sent Objects so it may be to do with the attachment itself. Anyway, the main thing is that the recipient received it and the attachment!