Menu
pawprint
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I cannot reset email password - trapped in loop

I have received a text from VM telling me my email account (with an old NTLworld address) has been used to send spam (suspect its a sub account, that of my daughter, rather than mine but that's by the way...)

I've followed the links from the text to virginmedia.com/lock and tried several times to follow the instructions there to reset password, which are to go to log in screen and click 'forgotten password', answering (correctly) the security questions and then entering and re-entering a new password.

Each time, this then gives an error that reads:
"Some information is missing or incorrectly entered. Please check below and try again."

It then returns me to the 'enter your email address' page again... and goes round the loop again...

Repeated this several times over past two days - with no luck in fixing/resetting password.

Called 151 this evening, and was told 'system will run some checks...' and asked to hang up.

No change.

What's next...?

[later edit] issue now resolved, although not clear why! See my own answer below...

0 Kudos
SDC
Rising star
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: I cannot reset email password - trapped in loop

Try all-uppercase for the security answer, that's been known to work...

assuming, of course, that you're a VM broadband customer.

Learning one day at a time how it works, breaks, and gets fixed.
Use Kudos to show your appreciation,
send Guinness to really show your appreciation :-)
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved.
I do not work for VM... I work for peanuts.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Try entering the security answer in upper case. If it still doesn't work wait a few days for the VM forum team to respond.
SDC
Rising star
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Oh, and if you're phoning for email help it's 150 not 151 - see the contact link in this page's footer: select >>> Account and Billing >>> My email service.

Learning one day at a time how it works, breaks, and gets fixed.
Use Kudos to show your appreciation,
send Guinness to really show your appreciation :-)
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved.
I do not work for VM... I work for peanuts.
0 Kudos
pawprint
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Tried CAPTIALs -- and then it rejected the answer (case didn't match)

But, I went round the whole loop again with a password combo unlike anything I'd previously tried, and that DID work!

So, issue solved, but not quite sure why Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Good news.

By the way 151 should work just as well as 150. Just tried it here and got through straight away.

Changing the password to a completely new one could be key. Best if you also change the security answers as well and check all connected devices for key logging malware