Menu
cathowen3
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I can't send outward emails from my iMac. I get the message "Cant connect to the account pop3.virginmedia

I can't send emails from my iMac. I am receiving the message "Cant connect to the account pop3.virginmedia.com" I have no problems sending from my iPhone or iPad.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: I can't send outward emails from my iMac. I get the message "Cant connect to the account pop3...

Apple devices treat inbound and outbound settings differently.

If you set up an account that has no current outbound servers then it adds them.  However if you delete the account it doesn't delete the smtp servers, so when you re-add the account it uses the outbound servers already set up for that email address.

This means that you have to change the outbound server details separately when changing the passwords.

My post here shows how to change the smtp passwords for Ipad's/Iphones.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Ipad-Iphone-SMTP-why-deleting-and-recreating-an-account-DO...

Rather than just assuming it's been changed, make sure by changing it yourself.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: I can't send outward emails from my iMac. I get the message "Cant connect to the account pop3...

Hi cathowen3,

Apologies for your current email issues, I shall do my best to help.
The error message your Mac is returning relates to the incoming, not the outgoing, server.

So first thing I'd like to ask is for you to check your email server settings are correct please:

Receiving mail (POP3)

POP3 server name - pop3.virginmedia.com

POP3 SSL - Enabled

POP3 port - 995

POP3 authentication - Enabled (or 'Password' on Macs)

POP3 username - Full email address

POP3 SPA (Secure Password Authentication) - Disabled 

Sending mail (SMTP)

SMTP server name - smtp.virginmedia.com

SMTP SSL - Enabled

SMTP port - 465

SMTP authentication - Password

SMTP username - Full email address

If any of your current settings are incorrect please amend them and let me know how you get on Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
cathowen3
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you very much for your reply. Yesterday I spent 3 hours on the phone to Virgin. This fault could not be rectified and in the end the technical team switched my email account to imap. He saved all my important emails to archive before closing the pop3 account completely. His name is Roger, based in Swansea and I had complete confidence in him, unlike the previous person I spoke to.

Nobody had any idea why this had happened, including Apple.

Thank you once again for replying. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

HI cathowen3,

Ah thanks for the update. I'm really glad you managed to get this resolved, and that my colleague (different department, same site) took such care to ensure your emails remained safe.

I've sent some good feedback to him and his manager Smiley Happy

All the best,

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
cathowen3
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi again. Hope you can help.

Unfortunately I now cant send emails from my iPad(s). Any ideas?

Thank You

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

And did Roger change the account password when he switched it to IMAP?

If so, you will have to change the email access password on any other devices which access the account, to the new password.

See Ravenstar's post at the top of the forum page about changing iphone/ipad mail passwords.

0 Kudos
cathowen3
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

As far as I can see, all passwords have been changed because you are prompted to change them which I did. 

0 Kudos
cathowen3
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Just to continue. I have two iPads and two email address. On one iPad, I cant send anything from either email. account. On the other one, I can send from one email address but not the other. This I the same with my iphone. I can send from one but not the other.?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Apple devices treat inbound and outbound settings differently.

If you set up an account that has no current outbound servers then it adds them.  However if you delete the account it doesn't delete the smtp servers, so when you re-add the account it uses the outbound servers already set up for that email address.

This means that you have to change the outbound server details separately when changing the passwords.

My post here shows how to change the smtp passwords for Ipad's/Iphones.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Ipad-Iphone-SMTP-why-deleting-and-recreating-an-account-DO...

Rather than just assuming it's been changed, make sure by changing it yourself.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

If you are getting an authentication error when you try to send an email from the ipad, then, the SMTP password for that device is wrong.

If you read Ravenstar's post - 

you will see precisely why this is the case.

Follow his instructions.