Menu
On our wavelength
Message 11 of 22 (161 Views)

Re: I can no longer access my NTLworld webspace via FTP.

Hi TokSik,

Do you still have a problem, as this thread is marked as answered? Assuming you are still having a problem, I looked at your traceroute, and am surprised that the first hop times out, as the first hop should be your local router. Do you use the VM supplied router, or one of your own?

Although in either case I can't think of anything obvious that would show the results you are seeing, but it would be worth looking in the router settings for:

a) any route that matches the IP address of upload.ntlworld.com (62.253.162.29) that could be sending the traffic the wrong way

b) anything that would be blocking the ICMP packets used by traceroute

c) any VPN configuration that might be picking up the packets (as usually traceroute fails to show any hops inside a VPN tunnel)

Although no comfort, I can reach and traceroute to upload.ntlworld.com. Oh, one last question, are you connecting via Virgin Media Broadband or via another ISP ?

Ian

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 12 of 22 (159 Views)

[ Edited ]

I notice that my last post has been deleted (which can only be done by VM staff) !!?!

I said in it that I tried everything (in software), none of which worked.

Then by off-chance, I reset my modem/router to defaults and rebooted it, then everything worked fine again - go figure. I had not changed any of the settings on it, but it had done "something" which caused the problem.

So if your still having problems, try resetting your modem back to defaults and try again. Good luck.

I've been using VM broadband through cable (and I don't take the TV or phone services).

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 13 of 22 (154 Views)

Hi TokSik

Glad to ear it's working for you now.  Was reading through everything and did find it odd that your tracert was timing out everywhere even though you got a DNS lookup.  Based on that tracert it's a wonder you had any internet connection at all.

@KnelfLast time I saw an issue like yours it was down to an ACL issue - Virgin need to have another look at your issue.

Ravenstar68  

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 14 of 22 (147 Views)

[ Edited ]

ACL? Access Control List?

OK virgin can you look at your access control list please?

Lets bear in mind I am not even getting as far as supplying a username.... are you implying they are IP blocking?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 15 of 22 (144 Views)

Knelf wrote:

ACL? Access Control List?

OK virgin can you look at your access control list please?

Lets bear in mind I am not even getting as far as supplying a username.... are you implying they are IP blocking?

Lot's of companies do some form of IP blocking. - Some will only let you connect to their email servers from the same network, IIRC ntlworld had a similar policy for ftp connections.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 16 of 22 (52 Views)

Now I am also seeing this problem. Attempting ftp to upload.ntlworld.com the server is refusing repeatedly:

Could not connect to 62.253.162.29: Connection refused.

What is also worrying is that I can not browse to my homepage. http://homepage.ntlworld.com/myusername/

Both are in the dns tables and refuse or time out.

Are others seeing the same problem? Presumably VM need to sort this out.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 17 of 22 (47 Views)

You're now seeing it because Virgin Media discontinued all webspace in April 2016.

Notification was sent out in writing before that to advise that you'd need to backup your files.

All website data is now deleted and unrecoverable.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 18 of 22 (42 Views)

Nothing to sort out. VM closed down their webspace offering last year. You obviously missed the announcement as well as the email and letter they sent you.

You can see the forum announcement here: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/News/Smartcall-Virgin-Media-Cloud-and-Webspace-closure/ba-p/3060...
0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 19 of 22 (40 Views)

That was ftp.webspace.virginmedia.com and http://name.webspace.virginmedia.com which was something of a disaster.

But the old ntl homepages were retained, I thought.

0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 20 of 22 (38 Views)

Also I checked that announcement. It was about the "webspace" server, not the ntl servers.
0 Kudos