Menu
Polly12-
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I am not a robot

No idea if I am in the right place as a new user.

Despite several telephone conversations and assurances from customer service that the problem with identity having to be verified by clicking pictures, when they changed over from Google, would be resolved quickly. 8 out of ten times I use my email addresses I have to go through the routine of clicking pics. Even when the info is correct it often has to be repeated. This is driving me to distraction.

I get spam galore. When going down the list of new emails some of them either jump to the bin or disappear somewhere miles down my list among the mail already opened days before.  I am not technically minded but even I know that can't be right. Is it me or is it Virgins fault?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: I am not a robot

Kippies has given you some robust advice. I'll present another side to the issues which you might want to consider.

CAPTCHA - it is a genuine attempt by VM to increase e-mail security and also sign on to their other services like e-billing which all use the same sign on details. Unfortunately it's a bit of a disaster. There are ways round. First of all use an e-mail client to send and collect your mail.  If you want to continue with web mail; secondly clear your browser cache and history regularly. Thirdly (and this is what I did) change your browser - I switched to Chrome and the whole thing is far less troublesome.

SPAM - a true nightmare. The spam filters are crazy and inconsistent. Change your SPAM settings in web mail to "spam to spam folder" . It won't stop the deluge but it might make it easier to sort. 

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

You see you've put your finger on the problem, you are not technically minded. Oh hold on...

Nope you will be pleased to know that despite your non technical mind you can recognise a service that's not fit for purpose.

There are some "work arounds". The web-mail interface is particularly bad. You can head over to the email help section and set up an IMAP client, that will help.

But truthfully the best advice at this point (and always has been), get yourself a proper , ISP independent Email account. Gmail, hotmail etc etc are free and fine to use. You can get your OWN domain and email address for a couple of quid a month. Either option is better than tying yourself to your ISP's offering that doesn't filter spam and glitches out constantly.  Register one, and start migrating your contacts, it will be a lot easier in the long run.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Kippies has given you some robust advice. I'll present another side to the issues which you might want to consider.

CAPTCHA - it is a genuine attempt by VM to increase e-mail security and also sign on to their other services like e-billing which all use the same sign on details. Unfortunately it's a bit of a disaster. There are ways round. First of all use an e-mail client to send and collect your mail.  If you want to continue with web mail; secondly clear your browser cache and history regularly. Thirdly (and this is what I did) change your browser - I switched to Chrome and the whole thing is far less troublesome.

SPAM - a true nightmare. The spam filters are crazy and inconsistent. Change your SPAM settings in web mail to "spam to spam folder" . It won't stop the deluge but it might make it easier to sort. 

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
FrankieBeee
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

despite clicking on the pictures am going round in circles today and it won't even let me sign in at all and get this to find out if there's a problem in my area I have to sign in but as it won't let me am stuck

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Follow my advice in message 3 above about cache and history clearing and using a different browser - in that order.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Meggiemariner
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I keep getting reminded to use Virgin Media Web Mail.  I would like to use it, but...... IF VM STOP ASKING ME TO PROVE I AM NOT A ROBOT ???

0 Kudos
Meggiemariner
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hallo, I don't think it is you at all......

0 Kudos
Meggiemariner
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hallo I use Chrome, but this does not cure the problem for me.

0 Kudos
Meggiemariner
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I use a different browser, but this does not cure the problem

0 Kudos