Menu
adios
Just joined
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

How to change POP account to IMAP?

How do you change a POP email account to an IMAP account?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: How to change POP account to IMAP?

Alll Virgin Media email accounts can be accessed via either POP or IMAP.

If you have already set the account up in an email client using the POP settings you can't simply change them to IMAP.

However, what you can do is set the account up again from scratch in the email client using the IMAP settings.

You can find the relevant settings here: Using-Virgin-Media-Mail-with-Mail-Clients

SlySven
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: How to change POP account to IMAP?

And what is sooo great about IMAP is that it is well suited to having more than one Device/Operating System accessing it from your Home environment, unlike POP3 where a client program downloads the messages and typically deletes them from the server (by default - though I think that can be changed and it has been over 15 years since I last used it) the messages stay on the VM server by default and thus can be seen by any connecting Client.

This does take up space on the VM Server but checking I see that I'm only using around 4% of my 26GByte allocation so can afford to be liberal in my message retention policy (OTOH I prefer plain text to HTML EMail as it is easier to maintain message integrity with signed/encrypted messages as well as having smaller messages - YMMV).

The convenience of being able to reboot occasionally into a M$ Windoze OS for those odd tasks that need it - updating a Sat. Nav. or downloading results from a medical device and then still being able to use EMail; or of firing up a laptop to use (in a shady spot) in the garden for some outdoor coding now that Winter, err, Spring is coming and still being able to access colleagues and past correspondence means that I consider POP3 obsolete and urge you all to make the switch to IMAP.

==========================================================================
If MS Windows is the answer then you may not be asking the right question.