Menu
Mikeh72
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

How long is email retained in my inbox?

I have no emails in my inbox older than 10th December. Is there a default retention period or can I set it somehow.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: How long is email retained in my inbox?

Mikeh72 wrote:

I have no emails in my inbox older than 10th December. Is there a default retention period or can I set it somehow.

There is no automatic deletion of inbox emails in the VM webmail system.  Spam and Trash are deleted after 30 days.

Do you connect to your email via any means other than webmail?  Some email clients particularly ones on mobile apps can be set to auto delete after a specified period.  Also there have been issues reported here with Apple devices deleting emails unexpectedly.

It is worth checking the Trash folder to check whether the missing emails are still in there. 

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Mikeh72 wrote:

There is no automatic deletion of inbox emails in the VM webmail system.  Spam and Trash are deleted after 30 days.

Do you connect to your email via any means other than webmail?  Some email clients particularly ones on mobile apps can be set to auto delete after a specified period.  Also there have been issues reported here with Apple devices deleting emails unexpectedly.

It is worth checking the Trash folder to check whether the missing emails are still in there. 

John991
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

I don't use web mail frequently but have always relied on it as an archive of old emails. Over Christmas I searched for an email around a year old and found that my inbox contained messages only back to September 2016. I've searched all obvious folders - trash, spam etc. - but can't find the lost emails. I'm using various devices to access my mail - desktop, iPad and phone. Any ideas or is the loss permanent?

0 Kudos