Menu
Wyke
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

How do I make outlook my email client

Given up with iPad .... now going to give PC widows 10 to try and get to my emails .... receiving web mail on blueyonder but it will not let me reply ,,,,anyone help ?

please

0 Kudos
Wyke
Tuning in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: How do I make outlook my email client

It is a blueyonder email address please

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

To avoid people tripping over themselves your previous thread is here:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/ipad-webmail/m-p/3375930#M141797

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The VM walk through guide for Outlook and other e-mail clients is here:

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

I gave that link to you in your previous thread.

Outlook is not installed on PCs by default. You generally find it as part of an Office 365 installation. It isn't available as a free download AFAIK.

The consensus on the Forum, and one which I share, is that a better bet is Mozilla's Thunderbird e-mail client if you are starting from scratch. The great advantage of T'bird is that with the VM servers it auto-configures the VM server settings. They'll need updating by hand eventually but will do for now. It also has some whizzy other features that look quite nice

Only download T'bid from the Mozilla site - for security.

If you do have Outlook you should be aware of installation pitfalls. I don't use it but all MS mail clients seem to have this elephant trap. When you configure the server settings you need to make sure that after you have ticked the box for outgoing server authentication you need to change the port setting back to port 465; and do the operation in that order. It is a trap for the unwary.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Windows 10 has a built in mail app. No fancy features but free. Outlook is ancient, complex, expensive. Having said that i still use outlook 2007 for some mail but i would not buy it now if starting over.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

cybmole wrote:

Windows 10 has a built in mail app. No fancy features but free. Outlook is ancient, complex, expensive. Having said that i still use outlook 2007 for some mail but i would not buy it now if starting over.

That is not an unreasonable position to adopt. But the built in Win 10 mail app is generally regarded as inadequate compared to offerings like T'bird. I have checked this out in preparation for my eventual and inevitable upgrade to a win 10 PC. 

The same link I gave you covers the use of the win 10 mail app. As you'll probably only need it for a short period while web mail gets fixed (the ETA for this is later on today - it has moved back from 28 March) it might be worth a try.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos