Menu
cf0rd
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

How can I get emails back from POP folders?

Hello!

Can anyone help?

I have an ntlworld account that I've had for years - back in the day, the only way that I accessed it was from the home PC via a POP account or via webmail (but mostly from the home PC using outlook).

Because that was where everything was, I created some folders within outlook on the PC to organise my emails rather than having them all in the inbox - at the time it wasn't a problem that I couldn't access those folders when using webmail.

Jump to today - now I mostly access via imap on my tablet & phone, and sometimes via webmail.  I need an old email that I found filed away in an outlook folder on the PC; I moved the email back to the inbox thinking that it would replicate & I could then access it on my phone, tablet or via webmail, but it hasn't appeared.  (To get around this, I have resent it to myself but obviously the timestamp now shows today).

So the question I'm posting is how can I get emails that I've moved to a POP folder back so that I can access them on my other devices?  The PC in question is rather old and liable to croak any minute, so I'd like to get the important ones back from the PC...

Help gratefully appreciated.

C

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: How can I get emails back from POP folders?

If the PC is currently working then you can use the Export function in Outlook to Export the mail to a .pst file.  You can export the whole of the POP3 database on the PC or just parts of it.  Once you have the .pst file you just copy it across using a USB key.

You don't say which version of Outlook you are running but the Import/Export options are usually found somewhere in the File menu. 

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

cf0rd
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that

Sorry, I obviously didn't explain very well - rather than wanting to import into another email package on another PC, I'm after putting the emails back into the 'live' online inbox. I would like to be able to see them from my phone and my tablet and another PC via webmail - exactly as I can with the emails that I didn't move out of the inbox.  I'm not sure that I can do that with a pst import from a usb stick...

Thanks

C

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

If this is  a one-off then:

1. save the message as a text file (.txt) in Outlook
  2. change the saved filename extension from .txt to .eml
  3. sign in to webmail
  4. select the folder where you wish to copy the message to
  5. use file explorer to drag-and-drop the .eml file into webmail; drop area is automatically highlighted

For frequent copying create a new account in Outlook that access the (destination) account via IMAP and then just copy messages across as and when needed.

0 Kudos
Tudor
Well-informed
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

This is the easy way:

Open a new send email Windows, address email to self

Open save email from its folder, copy data from saved email to clipboard CTRL-C

Go to new empty email, paste in the data from the clipboard, CTRL-V

Send new email. Will go into your inbox and be accessible from all devices.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

That will work too but you will lose the original email's metadata.

0 Kudos