Menu
joedurham
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

How can I archive my e-mails?

I've been a mostly happy customer since NTL days, but now I'm moving house to a part of the Scottish highlands which is Virgin-free, so I'm getting ready to switch e-mail accounts. The problem is that I have oodles of stuff (e-mails and attachments) that I need to keep somehow, way too much to deal with one e-mail at a time.  Ideally, I'd like to archive all of it on a Flash drive.  Any suggestions?  I only use Webmail (no desktop clients) and I don't have any Mac or Windows computers, only Ubuntu and Chromebook.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: How can I archive my e-mails?

You can get Thunderbird for Linux (and may already have it as part of the Ubuntu install). This works the same as does on Windows or a Mac. You'd then have two options:

1. Set Thunderbird to use IMAP. This would synchronise all folders currently on the server. You could then use the Archive function in Thunderbird to copy them to a separate local folder https://support.mozilla.org/t5/Thunderbird-controls-and-buttons/Archived-Messages/ta-p/13901

2. Set Thunderbird to use POP. This automatically downloads a local copy of your inbox, but wouldn't capture any other folders. You'd have to move everything into the Inbox for it to be downloaded.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You can get Thunderbird for Linux (and may already have it as part of the Ubuntu install). This works the same as does on Windows or a Mac. You'd then have two options:

1. Set Thunderbird to use IMAP. This would synchronise all folders currently on the server. You could then use the Archive function in Thunderbird to copy them to a separate local folder https://support.mozilla.org/t5/Thunderbird-controls-and-buttons/Archived-Messages/ta-p/13901

2. Set Thunderbird to use POP. This automatically downloads a local copy of your inbox, but wouldn't capture any other folders. You'd have to move everything into the Inbox for it to be downloaded.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Brilliant - quite brilliant. I never knew. Seriously. What an elegant and practical solution.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
joedurham
Tuning in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Wow, thanks Ben. I shall start playing tomorrow afternoon.

0 Kudos