Menu
Superuser
Message 1 of 2 (645 Views)

Help the Community to Help You.

Hi All

I'm making this post as a general guideline to all posters on here regarding email problems.

This is a community forum, as such the first responders to any problem are often other community members.  However the guidelines will also assist the Virgin Forum Team when they get to your post as well.

We can't see your problem so it helps to try and explain as much as possible.  Let me give you an example of a bad post.

"I'm not receiving my emails, I'm using the settings I've always used, please help!"

If anyone reading this thinks they recognise this post as their own.  It's not anyone's in particular, just a general question I see many times.

While it describes the general problem it gives little else to go on, so we end up playing 20 questions in order to get to the heart of the problem.  Let me give you a better example of the above.

I'm not receiving any emails through Outlook 2016.  My current settings are:
imap.blueyonder.co.uk
Port 993 SSL ticked.

I'm getting an error message which is <Full error message>

If the error message contains an email address then the part of the address that comes before the @ symbol should be obscured.  NEVER POST A FULL EMAIL ADDRESS.

This straight away identifies the problem, and helps identify whether there may in fact be an issue with your current settings.

I can't stress including error messages enough here.  They may seem like gobbledygook, but often they contain valuable information that can be of use.  Even if you don't understand what it's saying, someone will.

Finally if someone asks a question, please answer the question asked.  Virgin have four sets of email servers three of which have two sets of possible settings.  If we ask for your settings, we need to know EXACTLY what your settings are.  If we ask for an error message, we need to see it.  It's not because we're being nosey.  It's because knowing the information can help us dig into the problem.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Superuser
Message 2 of 2 (628 Views)

Re: Help the Community to Help You.

One additional thing to add.

Please don't piggyback on threads.

If you have a problem, by all means search the forum to see if you can find a solution.  If you can't please start your own thread.  

If you believe you have something useful to contribute to an existing thread. then by all means please add it.  I regularly do my own tests based on the problems experienced by posters, simply to confirm the problem exists and to add my own diagnostics to the thread.  However simply adding to the thread with:

"I'm having the same problem. Please help!"

Doesn't help the OP and it doesn't help you, as the Forum Team then have to go about asking what settings you are using etc.  Indeed sometimes I've had people post the above and it turns out that they are in fact having a different problem.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.