Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Fresh as a Daisy
PhilipN

Error sending e-mail from Outlook Express

I get the following error message when I try to send e-mails:

An unknown error has occurred. Account: 'pop.ntlworld.com', Server: 'smtp.ntlworld.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '421 Cannot establish SSL with SMTP server 81.103.221.11:465, SSL_connect error 10054', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 421, Error Number: 0x800CCC67

Is this a problem with Virgin, my Firewall or what.  I've tried RegClean and I've spent 2 and half hours on the phone to Avast, all to no avail.  What the hell is wrong with it?!!!

Please use plain text.
Omniscient
slated

Re: Error sending e-mail from Outlook Express

PhilipN wrote:

I get the following error message when I try to send e-mails:

An unknown error has occurred. Account: 'pop.ntlworld.com', Server: 'smtp.ntlworld.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '421 Cannot establish SSL with SMTP server 81.103.221.11:465, SSL_connect error 10054', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 421, Error Number: 0x800CCC67

Is this a problem with Virgin, my Firewall or what.  I've tried RegClean and I've spent 2 and half hours on the phone to Avast, all to no avail.  What the hell is wrong with it?!!!

smtp on VM uses port 465, SSL on - in theory. However at present smtp.ntlworld.com is acting up..

You could try using:

• smtp.virginmedai.com
  • port 465
  • SSL on
  • authentication on (username is full email address, with password)

it would be best not to have your AV configured to scan emails at least whilst you debug your email. (they are scanned at VM anyway). You could also try temporarily disabling your firewall (if you have one, your Hub or router is an excellent firewall anyway)

One to Watch
phi456

PhilipN
I had a problem with my NTLworld email this afternoon and Error Number: 0x800CCC67
8:30pm UK time now and the problem has resolved by itself.
Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
PhilipN

Thanks,Have tried changing the settings in accounts in Outlook Express to smtp.virginmedia.com port 465 - that doesn't work - get the following error message:

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'pop.ntlworld.com', Server: 'smtp.virginmedia.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 465, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

[If this is a problem with Virgin Media - why don't they sort it out and why can't one e-mail Virgin Media with faults - the options on the website seem to be phone or useless FAQs that never provide a useful answer!]

Please use plain text.
Omniscient
slated

[ Edited ]

PhilipN wrote:

Thanks,Have tried changing the settings in accounts in Outlook Express to smtp.virginmedia.com port 465 - that doesn't work - get the following error message:

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'pop.ntlworld.com', Server: 'smtp.virginmedia.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 465, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

[If this is a problem with Virgin Media - why don't they sort it out and why can't one e-mail Virgin Media with faults - the options on the website seem to be phone or useless FAQs that never provide a useful answer!]

SSL is supposed to be enabled

Also need smtp authentication.

In Outlook it looks like this:

Email 1.JPG

Email 2.JPG

Email 3.JPG

Trust Me, I’m a Doctor
Chris_K

Hi PhilipN

Have the settings provided by slated corrected this issue?

Regards,

Chris Kean

Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question.
Please use plain text.