Menu
DifferentLogin
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Error 554 - 554 5.2.0

Unable to forward an e-mail. 

Get the following: 'Message could not be sent. Error message from e-mail transport server: 554 - 554 5.2.0 P7eY1u0023MTmtY017eYdq Spam content found'

The e-mail I'm trying to forward came from The Genealogist into my Inbox NOT the Spam Folder so how can it have spam content?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Error 554 - 554 5.2.0

Hi DifferentLogin,

I'm so sorry about this.

The difference in behaviour, between your received mail and your outbound mail, is due to the SMTP spam filtering.

It's likely that end-users have previously marked this mail as spam and their default spam settings are set to 'reject all spam'.

This is something we are in the process of changing. Our customer's default spam settings will now allow spam to be delivered to the spam folder, thus the failed delivery notifications will cease.

We hope to complete this change very soon which means you'll then have no further bounce backs when sending to our domains.

Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
rjerinic
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi

I cannot send email from the web mail and receive a message

Message could not be sent. Error message from e-mail transport server: 554 - 554 5.2.0 oA5h1u00L37DPAc01A5hCV Spam content found

The only way I can send them is through my iphone or outlook, webmail is not working, please help

Regards

Ramona

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@Jen_A

While I appreciate this is an old thread.  I didn't catch this post the first time around.  Unfortunately, the OP has not revisited this.

I'm afraid the answer as given was incorrect.  I recognize the error message in question and although the OP did not explicitly say so - I can state with 100% confidence that

1. They were using the webmail platform.
2. This wasn't a bounce message, this is an actual error message put on the screen when he tried forwarding the mail using the webmail platform.

The outbound SMTP server parses the mail and if it deems the content is spam, refuses to send it.  So the webmail platform instantly reports the error message back to the user.

I'm all for stopping spam, but I've always argued that your spam filtering is too sensitive.  In addition, many organizations such as banks, ask that you forward suspected phishing emails as an attachment to them.  Something which this outbound spam filtering prevents, in some cases despite having not filtered the mail as it comes in.

Because email clients don't use the same SMTP servers as the webmail platform, they don't suffer this problem.  Which is why @rjerinic can send using his iPhone and Outlook.

Please go and have words with Liberty Global - and tell them it's about time they fixed this.  They are hurting their webmail users with overzealous outbound filtering.

Thanks

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
rjerinic
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tim

thank you for you reply. It is every email I try to send out of webmail. Im now having to refrain from using it. Don't know what to do.

Regards

Ramona

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Are you using an automatic signature?

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos