Menu
arsha
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Eml taking over my webmail?

Sometimes when I try to reply to an email I seem to get a blank form with a dotted line border that has 'drop eml file here' in grey typeface in the centre. When this happens, I can't return to my inbox or any of my folders. I can't delete it or move it to trash or spam. What I have to do is close webmail and login again. I don't understand it!

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Eml taking over my webmail?

Hi arsha,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having this trouble on occasion when replying to emails.

When did this start happening?  Could you try clearing your cache and cookies on the browser to see if still happens?  Maybe try a different browser if possible to see if you experience the same behaviour?

Let me know how you get on.

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
arsha
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, I've cleared the cache and cookies and will see what happens!

0 Kudos
priorslee
Dialled in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I've started getting this over the last 2-3 weeks.  I've tried clearing cache/cookies, but it happened to me 3 times yesterday.

The cause is slightly different to the OP, it seems to happen when I click on 'back' after reading an email, but the result is the same 'drop eml file here' with no way to get rid of the message.  I've tried changing the view, moving to other folders then back to Inbox again, but neither of these get rid of the message.  The only way that I've managed to get out of this is to log out & log in again.

0 Kudos
Argon
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The random appearance of a dotted box is an irritating feature.  Here's how I escape without logging out.

Go to Explorer and drag into the dotted box any file that is not an EML. It will be refused and the offending box will disappear. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Argon wrote:

The random appearance of a dotted box is an irritating feature.  Here's how I escape without logging out.

Go to Explorer and drag into the dotted box any file that is not an EML. It will be refused and the offending box will disappear. 

Try Ctrl + R or Ctrl + Shift + R instead.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

What's curious is that eml is of course an email file that's stored in plain text.

I haven't been able to replicate the issue myself but one wonders if it's down to issues with the webmail platform importing the email being replied to into the reply.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Possible but would be at odds with drag events that trigger “Drop EML file here for import”.

arsha, priorslee, Argon: when this problem occurs do you see any warning / error icons in the web browser's address bar, for example, SNP_2694059_en_v0.pngin Chrome?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

用心棒 wrote:

Possible but would be at odds with drag events that trigger “Drop EML file here for import”.

arsha, priorslee, Argon: when this problem occurs do you see any warning / error icons in the web browser's address bar, for example, SNP_2694059_en_v0.pngin Chrome?

I'm just musing as sometimes musings may provide some insight as to what is happening here.  I don't know the full ins and outs of OpenXchange.  I certainly know that any mail imports have to be in the the for of eml files - (which is essentially the text of the email source both headers and body).  So I was wondering if the issues on the email platform might be causing the platform to not import the mail being replied to into the Compose window

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
Argon
Joining in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I see the "drop eml here to import" box infrequently. It's been happening for a year or so with perhaps weeks between incidents. I don't recall any warning markers.   There's no area to click out of the lockup but the Virgin logo (top right) exits email and enters Virgin's home page to start a fresh login. Unfortunately I can't find a way to trigger an event for investigation so I'm not sure if I missed a refresh (or CTL +R) but I'll try next time.
Browser is Firefox under Win10 Pro. For the moment I keep an empty "junk.txt" file handy to drop into the box as my instant workaround.

0 Kudos