Menu
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 9 (1,011 Views)

Emails won't download

I've been reading some other posts about an issue with emails not downloading. From what I've read, it shouldn't be affecting people who use Virginmedia's webmail. I do use the webmail on my laptop but emails still don't download. I'm using Google Chrome and Windows 10. Is there any other way to get my email, please? Not sure if you need any other information. I did read somewhere about settings but no idea where to find them or change them. Thanks for any reply. 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Superuser
Message 8 of 9 (1,884 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by pinkywoo
‎18-03-2017 18:27

Re: Emails won't download

[ Edited ]

Don't do anything else. Stick with Edge for the time being. Listen carefully. You are using web mail to access your e-mails. You can safely ignore anything to do with settings. Just ignore it all. It will never affect you.

Your problem is typical of the many we are seeing where web mail is simply not behaving properly on some browsers on some PC. You fall into that category. But you have found the correct way out.

If you want to explore the use of an e-mail client (a program which is on your PC and does downlaod your mail to your PC), then click on the link I gave you. Your browser will open so you can read the article and decide what to do.

Have a good weekend and please stop worrying!

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

All Replies
Superuser
Message 2 of 9 (981 Views)

The problem is with web mail and it is precisely affecting users who use web mail. The system is utterly dysfunctional and has been for sometime. Nothing to do with what you have read about changes to settings. This doesn't apply to web mail.

You can do one or all of the following:

1. Keep trying, refreshing the loading page regulalry

2. Clear your browser cache and cookies

3. Try another browser

4. Use an e-mail client - advice here:

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 9 (975 Views)

Thank you Howard. I think I must have misunderstood what I have read. I've tried refreshing and clearing my cache and cookies so I'll have a look at your link about using an email client.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 4 of 9 (971 Views)

Try another browser first.

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 9 (969 Views)

Sorry to be a pain. I've read the info in the link but where do I put the information? It says to try it by clicking on the email link at the top of the virginmedia page but that tries to take me to the log in page which won't download.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superuser
Message 6 of 9 (965 Views)

Sorry - but what info and what link? Tell me what you are trying to do. I have, honestly, no idea.

If you are using a browser you do not need to take any notice of any settings changes.

Pages in web mail don't download. They are just there. You look at them. They are an image of what is on the VM computers.

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 9 (961 Views)

Hi Howard. Not sure I have any idea what I'm doing either. You put a link on about information on mail clients. I thought I was using a browser but the emails wouldn't load. Maybe I'm not. Thank you for your patience and trying to help. I have tried Edge and that has worked so I'll stick with that for now. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 8 of 9 (1,885 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by pinkywoo
‎18-03-2017 18:27

[ Edited ]

Don't do anything else. Stick with Edge for the time being. Listen carefully. You are using web mail to access your e-mails. You can safely ignore anything to do with settings. Just ignore it all. It will never affect you.

Your problem is typical of the many we are seeing where web mail is simply not behaving properly on some browsers on some PC. You fall into that category. But you have found the correct way out.

If you want to explore the use of an e-mail client (a program which is on your PC and does downlaod your mail to your PC), then click on the link I gave you. Your browser will open so you can read the article and decide what to do.

Have a good weekend and please stop worrying!

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 9 (941 Views)

That's what I thought, that I didn't need to change settings so thought my emails should show up. Then I got confused. Thank you for explaining it. I'm quite happy to stay with Edge for now, although not keen on it. Thanks for your help. Hope you too have a good weekend.

0 Kudos