Menu
tickedoff
Tuning in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Emails with attachments not sending

This one has me foxed...

Sending emails to a friend with photos attached.

Limited to 10 photos per email - approx size for each email with attachments around 1Mb

Using Outlook on my laptop.

First couple went fine. After that things got weird.

I got messages telling me that my SMTP server would not accept SSL connections, and that if it did previously accept such connections, contact administrator/ISP (and THAT's a whole other issue that I won't go into here...)

I got a login dialogue popping up every 30 secs or so when trying to send the email. No settings have been changed, so just kept on clicking 'OK'.

EVENTUALLY the emails were sent, but after reading some other threads on here while looking for similar problems I wonder now if they will be delivered (I numbered the emails, so the recipient will probably tell me if any failed to arrive).

Why did I have to keep on logging in to the SMTP server?

Why was I getting the error saying the server would not accept SSL connections?

It has taken me over an hour to send 7 emails...

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Emails with attachments not sending

The current VM email service is somewhat less than optimal (and that's being really kind).

I would suggest that you change to using a non ISP provided email service such as Gmail, Outlook or GMX Mail (all free, other services are available) or go for one of the paid for services. You will then have fully supported email which can be kept when/if you change your broadband provider.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
tickedoff
Tuning in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I've had my @blueyonder.co.uk email addresses for I don't know how many years (since Eurobell first started providing cable services in the southwest of England - must be getting on for 20 years), so changing email addresses would be the most unbelievable pain in the backside. I've tried using other non-ISP email and it sucks - just doesn't work for me. I had a hotmail.co.uk address - unfortunately it 'disappeared', never to be seen again, and I've never been able to get any sense out of anyone as to where it went and why, and why it wasn't migrated to an Outlook account (as it should have been) , but thankfully I didn't use it for anything significant.

Telling me VM email service is suboptimal isn't telling me something I don't already know Smiley Happy

I am more interested in the technical reasons why I had the issues I did trying to send an email with attachments; if I was doing something wrong, then I want to know what it was so I don't do it again.

Thanks for taking the time to respond,though - it is appreciated Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Ensure your email client is set up to use the undernoted SMTP settings:-

Sending mail (SMTP)

SMTP server name

smtp.virginmedia.com

SMTP SSL

Enabled

SMTP port

SMTP authentication

Enabled (or 'Password' on Macs)

SMTP username

Full email address, e.g., richard.branson@virginmedia.com

Note: If you update your username in My Virgin Media, this email address will not change.

For receiving emails via IMAP use the undernoted settings:-

IMAP4 server name

imap.virginmedia.com

IMAP4 SSL

Enabled

IMAP4 port

IMAP4 authentication

IMAP4 username

Note: If you update your username in My Virgin Media, this email address will not change.

IMAP4 SPA (Secure Password Authentication)

Disabled

And for receiving via POP use:-

POP3 server name

pop3.virginmedia.com

POP3 SSL

Enabled

POP3 port

POP3 authentication

POP3 username

POP3 SPA (Secure Password Authentication)

Disabled

Hopefully these settings will work for you.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

From what you observed during sending a slow or unstable network connection may explain things too.

tickedoff
Tuning in
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Yes, checked all my settings multiple times (in case something had mysteriously changed), and also checked the VM help pages for confirmation.

Everything was as it should have been (and as you have helpfully detailed below), and I managed to send the first two or three emails just fine - then things started to get screwy.

I was also getting a message to say SSL was not accepted by the SMTP server, and that I should contact my ISP/mail administrator if SSL was previously working.

So - no idea...

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I have seen that SSL not accepted message before with the correct settings. Generally it seems to be when the SMTP servers are playing up. I think perhaps you just got unlucky and hit a server glitch when sending your batch of photos.
tickedoff
Tuning in
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

OK - getting worse.

I have 2 @blueyonder.co.uk addresses. One seems to be working OK - it uses SMTP no SSL. The other uses SMTP with SSL - won't send.

It now won't send from that email address on my iPad either - keeps telling me the SMTP connection on port 465 has timed out....

Now I haven't changed the settings on my iPad since I don't know when, and I haven't had this problem sending or receiving email on my iPad until now.

I'm also confused as to which SMTP settings to use  - the non-SSL seems to be OK (at the moment), but the settings on the VM help says to use SSL...

Plus - the non-SSL connection is connecting to smtp.blueyonder.co.uk, but the VM help is saying to use smtp.virginmedia.com (even though I have @blueyonder.co.uk email domains) - the VM SMTP server doesn't recognise my account.

Is there a general problem with SMTP at the moment?

wth is going on? Grrrr....

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

If there was a general problem with the SMTP servers this forum would be flooded with posts.

The settings previously posted are the correct ones to use even with a blueyonder email address.

There is a sticky post at the top of this forum with guidance for sending issues on Apple devices.
tickedoff
Tuning in
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Graham,

I don't want to get snippy, and I do appreciate your help, but...

I HAVE NOT CHANGED ANY SETTINGS WHATSOEVER, ON ANY DEVICES, AND THEY HAVE BEEN FINE UP UNTIL YESTERDAY, BOTH SENDING AND RECEIVING EMAIL.

So - WHY, all of a sudden, when I have changed ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, when it has all been working just fine and dandy, WHY CAN I NO LONGER SEND ANY FLIPPIN' EMAILS???

Oh, and just to add to this sh*tshow, the email address that WAS working is now not sending either...
0 Kudos